What Transmission Fluid do you use on your 2nd Gen Neon

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:47 PM
aJester
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Transmission Fluid do you use on your 2nd Gen Neon

Hey Neon owners and experts...

I have a question.

I recently found that my GF's (1998) dodge Neon was low on Transmission fluid. I did NOT have the Owner's manual. So I decided to ask the advice of the fine folks in Autozone.
It was suggested that I use : Castrol ATF + 3.

Now I drive a 2003 Dodge Neon. And I realized that I am a little low in my car too. So I thought I shall add Transmission Fluid to my car too. I had the owner's manual for this. When I looked it up (Page 180), it said in Recommended fluids section, that + 4 grade should be used.

I called up Autozone to ask if they have ATF + 4.
Autozone said, they do not carry ATF + 4.. but suggested that I might as well use ATF + 3.

Now the question:
(1) Is it OK to use ATF + 3 in 2nd Gen Neons in general and specifically 2003 models when the manual says ATF + 4?
Or will that spoil my Tranny?

(2) Also the Autozone technician said that he has something called Universal Synthetic Blend or something like that for +3 and +4 grade. Should I use this?

(3) What does the other Neon Owners use? Which brand and product?

(4) Are all brands equal? Or is some brand "more equal" than the others

Thanks in advance....!
ajester

Old 02-27-2006, 10:27 PM
leadspud
Professional
Default RE: What Transmission Fluid do you use on your 2nd Gen Neon

It's ok to use ATF+3

Old 02-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional

quick correction,

Those of us that work at auto zone are NOT techs we sell car parts only and trust me ive worked there 4 years now and im a manager most of the people who work there are idiots

Old 02-28-2006, 03:11 PM
casper
Legend

The autozone near me sell +4 and that is what you need, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use +3. If for some reason your Autozone does not have it you can get it from another parts store or the dealer. Use the right fluid, you will thank yourself when your transmission lasts, lol

Old 02-28-2006, 04:09 PM
aJester

wow!.. *smile*

Thanks for the response folks!
For a moment there I was going to take their word .. but it struck me that the fluid currently in the Tranny might be ATF+4 and I was not sure it is OK to mix it with ATF+3. ATF +3 my or may not be ok. But mixing the two may not be a good idea.
Am glad I decided to ask the group... Thanks for your timely response everyone. I shall get ATF + 4 itself.

That said is there a "favorite" brand in this group?
The only name I can think of is Castrol... Is there something better.. Or something I should Stay away from?

I have another dumb question. *wears tin foil hat*
Is Mopar a brand? I think I read something like Mopar ATF + 4 in the owner's manual.
I see references to "Mopar" all over Dodge literature.. but have no clue what it is.

-ajester

Old 03-01-2006, 05:11 AM
lblackneon
Champion

You're suppose to change the transmission fluid every 35-40 thousand miles right? I've only changed mine once; that was at Shi**y Lube. Oops; quick correction; Jiffy Lube[&:]. I don't go to them anymore. I stopped going to them a while ago after a few experiences with them.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Somethingdirty
Professional

Wouldn't know, never been there. I've heard several discerning stories about the sh- I mean Jiffy lube (All your fault lblackneon!)
to prevent me from ever letting them get their grubby hands on my baby.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:48 PM
shnormo
Veteran

ATF+4 is what you should be using. If the car requires ATF+3, you can use ATF+4 but never the other way around. In another post I posted some help on where to get ATF+4. If you want a straight up ready to use oil, dealership only... Or the Murray's and Napa by my house. But there is a thing called Smart Blend Black, it will convert Dexron/Mercon III into a highly friction modified transmission fluid. Mercon and Dexron and friction petrolium based oils, ATF+4 is a synthetic blend so that way the clutches can slip while at idle and changing gears. The SB Black is a fully highly concentrated sythentic fluid that turns that fluid into a sythetic blend. It's what we use at work and 1 bottle treats up to 10 quarts. Out of curiousity, how did Jiffy Lube do your trans flush? At work we have a machine that hooks into the cooler lines and uses the transmission pump to pump out the old fluid. There is a microprocessor that determines the rate of fluid being evacuated and then pumps in new fluid. It gets all the old fluid out of the pan, lines, torque converter, and cooler. It takes out 98% of the old fluid instead of the drop pan and change filter. Yes your manual says a transflus is due 30,000-40,000. After you first one you should do your next one sooner since there is still build up from the previous one.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:04 PM
lblackneon
Champion

They brought a machine over to my car. I wouldn't be suprised if they put too much fluid in there though.

My I got it changed about 40,000 miles ago and I'm currently around 84k. My gears scratch when I put it into reverse sometimes; do u think by me changing my fluid will make a difference in that? I'm going to get all my fluids changed very very soon.
So the 2nd Gen Neons use ATF+4? That's not a name brand it's a type of trans fluid right? What's the best name brand?

Old 03-06-2006, 10:02 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran

If your cars manual, then hold you clutch in for about 4-5 seconds before you slap it in reverse.

If I dont on my car, the gears grind a tad due to a slow release bearing.

Quick Reply: What Transmission Fluid do you use on your 2nd Gen Neon