2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

FIXED: Engine Problems/Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 04:23 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP: Engine Problems

Hmmm...I dunno. I would think if the throttle cable is hooked up properly, sensor is plugged in, vacuum line hooked up, etc all should be good. I'm out of ideas......[&:]

Old 03-05-2006, 04:23 AM
BDM
Veteran

I think I found something useful!

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=1

"Thanks Wade....yeah we found out that it's pretty much the same code as the SRT. What you had mentioned. We had installed a new throttle body and we adjusted the idle when we installed (due to stereo). Apperently it didn't like it when we put it to 80mph and in 5th gear.....it wasn't catching up..... We adjusted it back to the originally settings and brought out on 95 last weekend. Pushed it to almost 100mph and it floated like a butterfly.......we seemed to have fixed it!"

I'll adjust it and see what happens! *crosses fingers

Quick question:
WTF is this adjustment for anyway if your not supposed to use it? (RPM/Idle Adjustor)

Old 03-05-2006, 04:25 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: BDM

Bro check this page out:

this could be my problem. There are talking about adjusting the idle. It has a little adjustment screw on top and I didn't have a clue with what to do to it. I currently have my car idling a little below 1000 RPMS. They said if you dont have it right it could throw that code at you...I'll keep searching for stuff.
Well mine idles at 800rpm. What does it idle at once warmed up?

Old 03-05-2006, 04:27 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: BDM

I think I found something useful!

"Thanks Wade....yeah we found out that it's pretty much the same code as the SRT. What you had mentioned. We had installed a new throttle body and we adjusted the idle when we installed (due to stereo). Apperently it didn't like it when we put it to 80mph and in 5th gear.....it wasn't catching up..... We adjusted it back to the originally settings and brought out on 95 last weekend. Pushed it to almost 100mph and it floated like a butterfly.......we seemed to have fixed it!"

I'll adjust it and see what happens! *crosses fingers

Quick question:
WTF is this adjustment for anyway if your not supposed to use it? (RPM/Idle Adjustor)
I guess if its not idling right...such as maybe too low that when you open it up the throttle body doesn't fully open up maybe? Which might be why your car has problems when you hit higher speeds.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:32 AM
BDM
Veteran

So do i need to lower or higher the RPMs? I don't have a clue what It should be set to. [&:] Jeez I wish MP would have sent this thing with some instructions...

Old 03-05-2006, 04:41 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Dunno. Whats it idle at? If it idles at what it does stock...800ish is what mine does and I haven't touched my throttle body. You could try raising the idle a little bit...to like 1000rpm and give it a test drive. See if that fixes it. I don't think you would want to lower the idle down anything lower then 800rpm. I would just make very small adjustments and see how it runs. Just remember what you adjust so you can turn it back if it doesn't run well like that.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:44 AM
BDM
Veteran

Alright man you got it. I'll go make it idle at 1000 right now and test it on the highway. I'm about to drive back home. I hope this works. Thanks for all your help tonight. I really appreciate it.

Brian

Old 03-05-2006, 04:46 AM
shnormo
Veteran

Hmm how is the idle adjusted on this throttle body? Is it just a screw? It is usually recomended that you do not adjust the screw due to it's sensitivity, but if it works it works. I'm curious to find out myself. If you have the money, get a wide band O2 Sensor, it will help see if your engine is running rich or lean helping you tune your motor for maximum performance. Cheap upgrade and it's gaurnteeded to work.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:03 AM
BDM
Veteran

shnormo:hmm...not a bad idea. Would look sweet too. So if your not supposed to do it yourself, who is supposed to do it? I actually have enough money for it. I'll have to give up getting the under drive pulley for a while though. :P I always wanted a guage and SRT bezel. How do you know how rich to have it? Or do you always have to keep it in the middle?

I don't want to get it unless it's absolutely necessary. Even if I did get it I wouldn't know what setting would be best.

LowSlow:
Okay I tightened it up a bit and had the exact same problem. Once I got off the highway I tried something new though. Instead of adjusting it in Park, I adusted it from switching back to drive. And the RPMS dropped. So I upped to 1000 from Drive and I tore it up. Considering I couldn't even go past 45 a few minutes prior now I was going up to 85. Problem is it's probably not tuned perfectly. I have to go back on the highway tomorrow and see if I will even get the same results. Do you think I should get this guage and adjust it by looking at it? I don't know what I should do here.

So your telling me that this little screw adjusts wether the engine is rich or lean? And that I need to buy this guage to get it exactly centered if in fact that's where it is supposed to be?

I'd probably have to go to Dodge to install the gauge if I got it didn't I? Could they adjust it so it's centered inbetween rich and lean? That's were it should be right? Geez so other people had to go through all this just to have thier throttle body working properly?

What should I do guys?

Old 03-05-2006, 12:21 PM
leadspud
Professional

Looking at the pictures you have posted, you have the TB mounted up side down. Could this be the problem.

Quick Reply: FIXED: Engine Problems/Throttle Body