2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

my 2 cents....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 08:34 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my 2 cents....

Yeah i got my R/T for $8,900 with 28,xxx miles on it...plus the extended warranty...

Old 03-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

ORIGINAL: crdnls

First... hello to everyone!!!
I first and foremost do NOT intend to offend anyone by my statements. This is from my own actual encounter with the "beloved neon"

I have (as for right now) a 2004 Neon RT. I (we) bought this as a family car mainly for our newborn son....
Let me tell you this much, have you ever tried to put an 18 pound baby in his car carrier in a neon? Or tried to take him out? I remember my salesman saying that "this is the car for parents!", yeah, whatever!

Power... come on, yes it is an RT, but really, who are we kidding? I have people in Hyundia's passing me. Sad.

Warranty, the whole entire car would shake when the brakes were hit (12,500). Guess what? Not covered!!!! I shelled out $210 for that one!!! Going into reverse? HMMMM? Do you have a couple of minutes? It'd take forever!!!! And finally, try to start it. well, it turn and run, for about 3 secs., guess what? Cant find nothin wrong!!!

Today is the final day. I had it towed ( it wouldnt start at all). I cant wait to here there excuses 2morrow. It should be good. By the way, if you just bought one, or thinking of selling your old one, you may as well just throw your money out the window. I paid 16 for mine w/ warranty, and guess what, its only worth $8000, Hmmmm, so do you want another one now?

I will keep you all posted

Well lets start off at the beginning shall we...when it comes to the 18lb kid and his carrier dont you think perhaps you should've tried putting all that stuff in the Neon before you bought it? With that said the Neon is a small car and i would never describe it as a "family sedan" or "a car for parents"(unless those parents are buying the neon for their kids to drive), so you got screwed by the dealer on that one but thats what happens when you dont check things out before hand...

When it comes to power, yes in my opinion it is underpowered...but seriously, what car isnt underpowered...its not an SRT-4 its a lil 2.0L engine with 137whp...its faster than most cars in its class (Civic, Rio, Sprectra, Cavalier, Cobalt, etc) and its faster than the behemoth 4 door family sedans(Taurus, Impala, Grand Prix non S/C, etc...)...so i dont know what you were expecting from a little four banger but thats what a test drive is for...

As for th brakes well thats just something that can happen and its usually always b/c they were flawed in some way...now the warranty is like any other factory warranty you get from any other car company, some things ae covered, some things arent...lifes a bitch, what else can I say?? lol.

All in all it sounds like you got a lemon from all the troubles you've been having...**** like this happens for all car companies, makes, and models...that why theres a "Lemon Law"...and the trade-in on these cars do suck *** but few cars hold there value for trade-in apart from Honda...

Anyway, we're all sorry you had a poor experience with your Neon, but take our word for it, not all Neons are like that and they are in fact very nice cars to own...just not if your hauling a kid around in it...lol.

Ditto... fricken ditto man... lol

I dunno what Hyundai passed you, but if definately wasn't an Elantra or a Sonata... lol Cause my SE has taken both of those... and you've got more power...

Your brakes... My brakes are fine... Never had that problem...

You definately got screwed by the dealer. And you definately got a lemon or a used one that was ragged on...

Old 03-11-2006, 04:11 AM
crdnls

ummm... thanks for the responses. I guess the 1st thing that I should have explained was that we were "expecting at the time" when we bought this car. I had no idea at the time that a baby in a car carrier would be so difficult to place in and out of the car seat. Unfortunatley, I let the salesman do my thinking. I wanted the SRT, but price (then was peak for em of 21,000+), I had to go for what I thought I could "build up on for what I could afford now". Actually I did get a deal, cause my employer builds and supplies for dodge and many others. But I am very thankful now that I did not buy an SRT. Not because of the car, but because we need more room!
Anyway, the problem with the starting was the keys, because I made copies. So the car thought it was being stolen, because there was no chip in the key. It's been fixed. FOR NOW, it is fine, but we are getting rid of it soon for something else. The brake, rotor, thing still makes me mad. Thats another story. Maybe I did have a lemon. To late now.

The rest is just my 2 cents again...

If you plan on upgrading simple things, DONT, they will make your car run worse. Example...plugs... ngk iridium do not mix well, nor do expensive wires, they make em miss fire, (do a code test). Lightbulbs... silverstars are not what they seem, save money and get cheaper brands (legal). Air intake... only do this if you are changing everything else and you can fool the computer. Exhaust... each to there own, just don't get a pacesetter. ( I know now ). My favorite...stereo...install what ever makes you happy, just remember, when installing an amp and you disconnect the battery for any reason, you risk your car thinking it is being stolen, it may take time, but it'll happen.
I am sure there are many out there who think my opinons are wrong, but like I stated, my 2 cents. I will soon no longer own a neon, I just thought I could help out others for right now.
By the way, I still do have my Mopar tuner tail lights if anyone is interested. Yeah, I had to throw that in.
Alright everyone, fire away!!!!

Old 03-11-2006, 02:18 PM
lblackneon
Champion

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

Yeah i got my R/T for $8,900 with 28,xxx miles on it...plus the extended warranty...
[sm=huh.gif] Another good deal. They didn't have deals like that when I got my car....[]

Old 03-13-2006, 03:32 AM
bebi_wilson

I own a 2001 R/T and i have no problem getting my 30 lb kid in and out of his car seat. I love my neon and would never get rid of it for anything other than an SRT4 or Evo.

Quick Reply: my 2 cents....