2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Help Please 2004 SXT Idle/Staring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:24 AM
Joe Griffin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please 2004 SXT Idle/Staring Problem

My son's Neon started having problems today. He said he has to play with the throttle to get it started and keep it a high RPM's to keep it running. The minute he lets off the foot feet it will die. any idea's on what it could be. I don't think he can even drive it as it keeps dying if he let's off the throttle.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:14 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Help Please 2004 SXT Idle/Staring Problem

ORIGINAL: Joe Griffin

My son's Neon started having problems today. He said he has to play with the throttle to get it started and keep it a high RPM's to keep it running. The minute he lets off the foot feet it will die. any idea's on what it could be. I don't think he can even drive it as it keeps dying if he let's off the throttle.

When's the last time the plugs were done? I'd start with looking at those. Other things to check would be the oxygen sensor/fuel pump & filter. Those would be where I'd start.

Something else to consider, is if the vehicle is still under warranty. If it is....I'd consider taking it to the dealership.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:35 AM
Joe Griffin

It has about 30,000 Miles and as far as I know the plugs have not been changed. I bought it damaged and fixed the front end.... so no warrenty. I had been running fine according to my son until he go in it today. Could it be the computer?

Old 04-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

I dont see how it could be the PCM. Yould get it reprogrammed with the stock programming but i dont see how that would solve anything until you have checked everything out first.

Like dev said, check the spark plugs. You might also want to check to see if certain errors are given by turning the car on acesseries and off again (three times and then it will show a code if there is one).

You might also want to check the engine bay to see if all the wires are attetched firmly and all the hoses and sensers are plugged in to where they should be.

I could definately also see the possibility of a flimsy and or dud sensor. They are on the exhuast and the intake manifold. You might want to go ahead and purchase a new set before sending it into getting reprogrammed if nothing else works.

Sorry about the problem, hope you get it fixed.

-freerider.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Joe Griffin

Thanks for the replies guys. It's hard to help him much when he's a 1000 miles away, but I can have him check for the codes and see if something shows. Appreciate the info thus far.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:33 PM
casper
Legend

Bring it to the dealer, it should be under warenty

Old 04-17-2006, 06:07 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

it could be the fuel injectors might need 2 b cleaned mine had a little problem starting a little while ago so i ran the tank down almost all of the way and pt a few gallons of premium gas and i never had a prob since

Quick Reply: Help Please 2004 SXT Idle/Staring Problem