2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

SOHC to DOHC

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:02 AM
Chips
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC to DOHC

Ok, so scrap the srt-4 powertrain swap, im thinking ill go with an engine swap from my automatic SOHC to a manny DOHC. I have some friends that want to work on a DOHC for my car and make a GOFAST car. My question is will there be any mounting problems switching to a DOHC, or will it bolt on in the same way as the SOHC? Also wiring, will that need to change? Anything else you can help me with would be appreciated.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:04 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper
Default RE: SOHC to DOHC

as far as i know it will be as hard to swap a srt engine to a DOHC, because i KNOW that the older wiring harnesses are different, i was going t o buy a build sohc engine from someone but i did not want to go threw the work and i will just spend the money on my engine, that is what i think you should do if you do a engine swap spend the money and do a srt 4 swap...... the mounting from an older engine is also different so you would also have to deal with that to

Old 04-23-2006, 01:01 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

The head will bolt up, but it will be all custom as far as getting it to work. Harnesses are different like ^he^ said. You would probably be better off sticking with what you have or swapping an srt motor in there.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:15 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

You'll have to route the coolant temp sensor wire from its current location (drivers side at head) over to the water neck on the intake manifold. You'll need a SOHC intake and exhaust mani (obviously), and probably a little work (adapter) to attach to your stock piping. I don't know enough about the 2nd gen motor mounts to tell you if there will be a problem, but I know that 2.0L DOHC's and 2.4L DOHC's have been swapped in successfully, and I don't remember motor mounts being a major complaint.

Keep in mind that your stock PCM is programmed to run a SOHC, and really isn't equipped to deal with the extra airflow you'll be getting with the DOHC. It's not going to perform as well as it would with a 1st gen DOHC PCM, which is going to require more work... and eliminate your stock security system. Also, if you have a 2003-up Neon, you'll want to swap over just the head, since the crank signal is different, which means finding and swapping over the timing belt components from a 2.0L DOHC.

If you want a "go fast" car, why not just bolt on a turbo kit for $3k and be done with it?

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: SOHC to DOHC