2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Gas pedal issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 08:29 PM
MoparMan00
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas pedal issues

I bought a 2000 plymouth neon 2.0 dohc 5 speed. I am the third owner. The issue is that when i go to take off or any time I push on the accelerator it sticks a little before it actually moves, causing an unwanted jump when i take off, if i let off of the clutch a lot before giving some throttle its less noticeable, but it takes such a good amount of pressure to start that i end up in an unsafe sitution if i am paralell parked. any idea?? i used some wd 40 in behind the pedal. its like the spring needed to keep the accelerator out is really stif and when i finally get enough pressure to move it, it explods and i take of really fast.the throttle cable isn't pinched anywhere that i can see. so everytime i shift, i have to stay on the gas a little the whole time.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:26 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Default RE: Gas pedal issues

is your pedal on a pivot in the middle so it can move around before you push the gas because you might be just doing that and then hitting the gas. i thought there was somehting wrong with my pedal when i first got the car but it was just that. the pedal is made for comfort or something but i dont like it

Old 05-06-2006, 12:27 AM
ewetho
All Star

Couple of things to look at.
1. The thottle body itself. Is it carboned up and sticking. My Dads truck did that after it got older. Cleaned the throttle body and all better.
2. The throttle cable. If it is sticking well you get the idea.
3. The pedal. Should be free to move and not bind. Anti-Seize whould do good, but watch out with that stuff very hard to get out.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:57 AM
MoparMan00
Veteran

i dont think its the pivot thing, because it doesnt move at all and then all of the sudden it goes, it doesnt move before it accelerates, it just is really REALLY stiff then when it goes the pressure i have generted makes it go far.
as for the other suggestions, ill check into those, thanx a bunch.
-MoparMan00

Old 05-07-2006, 03:03 PM
ramboy17

yeah it sounds like the pivot thing

Quick Reply: Gas pedal issues