2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

newer neon abruptly loses power

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:34 AM
amartin256
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newer neon abruptly loses power

I have a 2002 neon sxt autromatic with 30k mi and am having a problem with loss of power at random times. I have not been able to find a pattern to the loss of power, but have noticed it with the a/c on as well as off, during rainy weather and dry, and cold and hot seasons, but always while I am in traffic and it scares me to death.

The symptoms are something like this: I'm driving down the road at any speed, and the car shudders and then slows down even though I didn't take my foot off the gas. I didnt notice any trouble lights come on. Then to make up for the slowing down, I press harder and harder on the accelerator until it is floored, and then the tach revs past 5k, and then the car seems to slowly accelerate again - no shuddering at all.

So this really has me scared about driving anywhere, esp at night. I had a garage look at and they said there wasn't much they could do because a code wasn't thown. They didn't even pop the hood to look. I had a friend pull trouble codes out and P1684 and P0320 were listed in that order. I really don't know what to try next - any suggestions on what I could look at?

thanks!

Old 06-29-2006, 11:01 PM
neon2_0t
Professional
Default RE: newer neon abruptly loses power

Whats goin on,.... anyways Could be a loose ground wire, spark plugs, computer. I would first check for a loose ground wire, find a wiring diagram for the 2.0L 420a motor and go through it.

For you help:
1684 means, The battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts.
and,
320 means that the Crankshaft position sensor reference signal cannot be found while the engine is cranking.

So you may want to go to the dealership with this information because i asume its still under warrenty.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:10 AM
05ocsrt4
Rookie
Default RE: newer neon abruptly loses power

look up your DTC's, since there is no check engine light, there could bew pending codes pointing towards you problem

Quick Reply: newer neon abruptly loses power