2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Aftermarket Stereo install - Wire harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:50 AM
tvandlust
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo install - Wire harness

I recently had my JVC CD player stolen out of my 2002 Neon. Today I purchased a newer JVC model and a Chrysler/Dodge 2002+ stereo wire harness. The wire harness was connected to the deck with problem, but when it came time to hook it up, there was a slight problem. I'm not too hip and with it on technical terms, so bear with me... the connectors inside the dash that are to connect to the new wire harness have less connecting points than the wire harness. Meaning there are left over connectors on the new wire harness. Additionally, it appears as though the are two connectors inside the dash, both a single row of 7 points. The wire harness accepts two rows of a few more than 7 points. Now, my question is, does the connectors inside the dash just plug right into the wire harness, despite the overflow of extra points on the wire harness? And if so, does it matter which connector is on top or bottom? Or is there something else completely wrong entirely? I mean, it's not rocket science it seems like it's gone awry anyway.

So if the question and explanation don't make much sense, I tried to convey what I meant as best as I could.

Oh, and I didn't install the previous JVC, Best Buy did. I really don't think they did anything incorrectly.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:57 AM
ewetho
All Star
Default RE: Aftermarket Stereo install - Wire harness

Check your manual and see if they mention this occurance if not go back and ask for a harness for 02 Neon. Also ask if they have had this issue before. Can't imagine the install shop have not ever seen this. If they have not maybe the wrong part in the box???

Old 07-28-2006, 03:19 AM
tvandlust

I just looked a little further into it since my last post and the best that I can come up with is that, despite the fact that my Neon is clearly an 02, I need an 01 wire harness. Why, I don't know. Hopefully this is the case, because as ridiculous as it is, at least it's an easy fix.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:49 PM
QBall02
Rookie

Dodge/Chrysler changed their harness' right around 2002. Thus some cars got the new one's and some didnt. I believe that was your problem.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo install - Wire harness