2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Sleeper

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Sivien
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeper

I've been readin about what ppl say for 2nd gen neons and srt-4 swaps. My question is how hard do you think it would be to swap out my engine and tranny from an 05 SXT (which is currently an automatic) to and srt-4 setup. Also what else do you think I should do (ie. maybe put in rear wheel brakes, new axles, new clutch). Basically im lookin to do this and i really dont want a sleeper that just breaks everytime i get into it. Also does anyone know if there is a 6-speed tranny that would bolt up to the housing on an srt-4.

thanks

Old 08-31-2006, 01:24 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Default RE: Sleeper

ORIGINAL: Sivien

I've been readin about what ppl say for 2nd gen neons and srt-4 swaps. My question is how hard do you think it would be to swap out my engine and tranny from an 05 SXT (which is currently an automatic) to and srt-4 setup. Also what else do you think I should do (ie. maybe put in rear wheel brakes, new axles, new clutch). Basically im lookin to do this and i really dont want a sleeper that just breaks everytime i get into it. Also does anyone know if there is a 6-speed tranny that would bolt up to the housing on an srt-4.

thanks
There are no 6spds that will bolt up...i wish there was though! As for the swap, your best bet is to buy a wrecked SRT-4 and swap over everything. How hard the swap will be is dependant on how good you are with cars, who you have helping, and whether or not you have the right tools to complete the job.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:31 AM
Sivien

thanks for the info. Also do you know how hard would it be to turn my automatic neon into a 5-speed.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2006, 03:04 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

You would need to find a complete T350 5-speed transmission, either 3.55 final drive (SE, SXT) or a 3.94 (R/T-ACR)...you would also need the shifter assembly, new pedal assmeblies, clutch master cylinders, etc (i've posted a partial part list on a few occasions, just do a search you should be able to come up with them). You also need the axles out of an MTx (only the passenger side) and a new clutch ( i would suggest the PT Cruiser Non-Turbo Modular clutch). The swap isnt easy, but its not hard either...if you are seriously considering the SRT-4 swap though, just wait and do the engine and transmission swap instead.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:57 AM
Sivien

Yea the idea is to change the tranny when i decide to do the swap to an srt-4 engine. My only problem is i cant seem to find many srt-4 engines and trannies besides ebay. If you have any other suggestions Id be grateful for all your input.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2006, 05:22 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

As i said, buying the wrecked SRT-4 is the 100% best way to go, you just have to look on Ebay Motors, junk-yard listings, make lots of phone calls, and search search search.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 PM
GrApHite03

www.car-parts.com

k3v

Quick Reply: Sleeper