2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Car dies after 1/2 hour

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Viper_ed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dies after 1/2 hour

I'm trying to fix a problem with my mother-in-laws 2000 Plymouth Neon. The car will start and run for about a 1/2 hour then it just dies. Once it dies, it will not restart untill you let the car sit for like an hour. Then it starts up again and does the same thing. What's weird is when it starts, it runs and drives like nothing is wrong with it. It does consistently die after 1/2 hour.

I'm thinking of dropping the tank and replacing the gas, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced and can lend a possible solution before I go that route.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-09-2007, 02:34 AM
blue bomber
Default RE: Car dies after 1/2 hour

Hey whats up man. The answer to your question is without a doubt your/her alternator. Might as well go ahead and replace your battery too because i can tell you now its no good due to the alternator going out. You could get both prolly for around $200. Problem fixed! You see the alternator keeps the battery charging while the car is running so when it goes out, so does your battery. I think the reason the car will start up is because it has just enough juice but dies after 30 min due to the alternator going out. Only gonna get worse in time bro so go ahead and suck it up and get that alternator and battery! If u need help installing the alternator, just PM me.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:39 AM
Viper_ed

Well, I have already replaced the battery. The car still has pleanty of power to crank after it dies. Once you start the car, you can disconnect the battery and the car will run off of just the alternator. Typically when an alternator is shot, the car will die as soon as you disconnect the battery.I haven't had a chance to put a voltmeter on it yet to see what kind of voltage it has when it dies.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:19 AM
qnr69
Veteran

omg that is tottaly the problem i had with mine i could never figure it out and it did exactly wat u are sayin it needs a new fuel filter and all the parts in the gas tank need to be cleaned out that is totally the problem i replaced everything and it doesnt die anymore

Old 02-09-2007, 03:29 AM
blue bomber

Hmm......that is intersting.....well i tryed. Could be fuel filter as well

Quick Reply: Car dies after 1/2 hour