DIY - Yellow, Faded Headlight Repair

Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up DIY - Yellow, Faded Headlight Repair

Cloudy, scratched headlight lens covers are a safety hazard as well as a blemish on your vehicle. This condition occurs because the plastic is overexposed to UV light. The cloudiness starts at the exterior surface of the lens cover and spreads inward. In intense sun climates, this damage can be apparent within a couple of years of purchasing a new car. When I bought my '02 Grand Cherokee last September it was in absolute mint condition, except a couple of minor body scratches (mostly like key chain deals around door handles), a single small dime sized ding and unsightly yellowed, faded headlight covers.

The good news is that this damage is very common and very fixable.

Tape off the area surrounding the headlights using painter’s tape. Clean off any loose debris using any good glass cleaner and a soft microfiber towel.

Next, do a little wet sanding with either about a 1200 grit sandpaper or some very fine steel wool. Keep it wet to avoid scratches. You are done when you get to where you don't see any of the yellow cloudy plastic anymore. For really stubborn lenses it may be necessary to use a little rubbing compound . Even though, I have always hand sanded, I'm sure you could use a small sander or a drill attachment, as long as you are careful not to go beyond the cloudy outer coating of the plastic. Remember, only take off enough plastic to be rid of the dingy outer layer, too much and you will weaken the plastic cover. Be sure to wash the cover well to remove any grit, giving you a nice, clean, smoother surface for the next step.

Now all you have to do is shine it up and protect it from happening all over again. You need to apply some kind of plastic polisher/restorer and if it's also not a protectant, then you need to apply that product last.
I use a product called "Flitz" available off the internet and some higher end detailing/automotive stores. It's a metal & plastic "all-in-one" type product and actually does a fantastic job on my aluminum rims, stainless grill guards, nerf bars and plastic trim. Shines diamond plate better than anything I've seen. Big product with the Harley crowd and I saw it at Bike Week in Daytona a couple years ago.
You apply it just like you would a paste wax, wipe it on, buff it in either by hand with a little elbow grease or with a small buffer, let dry to a slight haze and wipe off.

Before & after pic:

Name:  Jeep_BEFORE.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  48.8 KB

All done :
Name:  HPIM2951.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  96.1 KB

Jeep

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - Yellow, Faded Headlight Repair