DIY- Keeping Fog Lights On With High Beams

Old 08-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up DIY- Keeping Fog Lights On With High Beams

This has been covered before but has been lost in the thousands of posts that followed it so here is a new diy.

to keep your fog lights on with your high beams you will need a 1.5" piece of wire (14ga should be fine) and 2 crimp on spade ends.

strip and crimp the wire like this:

now you see the two prongs on the fog light relay that are bigger? #3 and #5.
that's where you will put your wire, like this:

now the fog lights stay on with the high beams and you have a spare relay.

*apparently this only works for 98-01 rams with only one fog light relay.

i put my factory fog lights and the bumper lights on a relay so they all work with the factory fog light switch.
here's my diagram

and here is some useful wiring info -- https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1906003-post41.html

well, i got a little insight into the dual fog lamp relays. read on...
Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
Ok its a nice day out today so I'm testin this out. When I pull either relay it kills the fogs, I've tried the jumper wire between the 30/87 pins on both relays, and from 1 relay's pins to the others, still nothin. I'm gonna try this now and let ya know

EDIT: I had contunuity on pins 3/4 also, tried the jumper on relay #1, did nothing. Tried it on Relay #2, and it works!! The fogs stay on with the highs, and still turn off with the foglight switch. I'm goin out to put a fuse on the jumper now, so I'll run it for a while and let yas know how it makes out...

Thanks Dave, between your brains and my grunt work we may have found the answer for the 2 relay setup Someone should edit the DIY
Originally Posted by mjackson92rs
Glad that that is cleared up.

So as reference:

1997 Dodge Ram with TWO fog lamp relays:

This jumper mod will work just fine. All it does it not allow a relay to open the fog light circuit when high beams are turned on.

The relay which powers the fog lamps (the other one of the two) should NOT be tampered with.

Thanks Capt. Obvious for figuring this out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY- Keeping Fog Lights On With High Beams