DIY - Replacing your Fuel Pump

Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up DIY - Replacing your Fuel Pump

Alright now iv been needing to replace my fuel pump for awhile now and finally it went completely out and realized our 2nd gen section doesnt have a fuel pump DIY yet so here goes nothing.

Ok start off with using a 15mm socket and loosing the strap nut's which in my case wasnt in all that bad of condition, results may very so i would consider using some liquid wrench or PB blaster. I wouldnt use a heat gun on the bolts being that they are so close to the gas tank.

Loosen them but dont take them all the way off.

Now slide out the skid plates for the side and front of the fuel tank

Depending on how badly rusted your hose clamps are on your fuel neck you can remove them, or in my case i had to cut the rubber hoses attached to the neck and the tank because i had nothing left on the head of the clamps to grip on to loosen them.

Now remove these 3 phillips head screws and cut or remove the filler neck from the tank.

Now i used two jacks to lower my tank down enough to where i could lay a blanket down for it to rest on so i could pull it out.

Now before lowering the tank climb under the truck and disconnect the wire/fuel pressure hose/fuel regulator hose

Im 6'6 and my truck has a 3 inch lift kit an i was able to sit straight up inbetween the tank and the drive shaft, it's kinda a pain to disconnect the fuel regulator hose but it can be done, all you need to do is pinch the two clips on the sides and pull the hose off.

Careful not to pull on the hose it self because it's hard blastic and not rubber and could possibly snap and then you're in a whole nother world of hurt.

Now lower the tank as low as you possibly can and let it drop onto either a old pillow or carpet or blanket etc etc

it will soften the fall and will also make it easier to slide it out.

Once you get it down on the ground and slid out you can begin removing the locking ring for the fuel pump, i personally used a flathead screw driver and taped on the ridges of the ring untill it started to spin off. Remember righty tighty lefty loosey.

Once you get it off you can just simly take a flat head or a pocket knife and slide it inbeside the tank and pull up and she should pop right out.

Once you get it out you can scyphon out the gas left in the tank or in my case i just left it in, it does make it a bit harder to do so but it's less time invested in having to drain the tank.

I once i got it out i removed the old hose clamps with a dremmel and cut the old hose the rest of the way off, replaced it with a spare radiator hose i had laying around that i cut to fit and also got a piece of heatercore hose from a friend, both for free.

Now i cleaned and painted the hold feeder neck because it was so badly rusted it needed it.

Now to reverse the process, take the new fuel pump and make sure you have the big O ring in level otherwise it will fall into the tank, i didnt take a picture of it because it's a common sense factor it can only go in one way.

Now do a test fit to make sure the hoses for the feeder neck are the right length but dont leave them on because you will need to have them off to put the tank back up.

Now slide the tank back into place and make sure you have it in the same place it was previously, i used the old markings on the tank from where the straps were the first time.

Now slowly work your way from end to end raising it with the jacks,

I also put boards under it to help keep it stable. Once this is done line up the bolt holes on the straps and start tightening down, but dont tighten it all the way yet.

Now once you've done that, get back up top and reconnect the fuel lines and wires

Just reverse the process as you were taking it off, also make sure the fuel regulator clip is lined up with each other because if it's not you wont seal it off and you will get your floor soaked in gas, trust me i did.

Now reconnect the filler neck hoses

Tighten the bolts down and lower the jacks, and fire her up and see if you did it right.

Now the total cost was around 75 bucks from start to finish because i got the fuel pump from a friend with a wrecked 01 1500 which was a new pump when he wrecked it.

Fuel pump cost $50.00 cash

Fuel system cleaner $5.99

Hose clamps $5.00

PB blaster $9.00

Now this price is usually double if not triple than this, most fuel pumps go for around $195-$212 or at a junkyard for around 35 bucks which i dont suggest doing.

You're experiences and prices will vary depending on the job and amount of crap you break during the process.

Goodluck and remember have fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - Replacing your Fuel Pump