DIY - Transmission Temperature Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:51 PM
mnewbolds
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up DIY - Transmission Temperature Gauge Install

This is a writeup of what I did to install my Trans Temp Gauge in my 95 Ram 1500.

The gauge I used is a Mechanical Sunpro Oil/Water Temp. It was 17.99 at Advance Auto.
You will also need a Temp sending unit extension, Brass Tee, and 2 Brass compression fittings. Not sure of the size but the part numbers on the reciept are
-WEA 3700x6= $8.18
-WEA 68x6x6= $2.67
-ATM 2271= $13.99
Before you start, it might be easier to remove the line completely and do this on a bench, Otherwise you'll look like you are bleeding to death everytime you come out from under the truck. And don't forget to run your sending unit through to the place you want to install it first that way you know it will reach and will keep trans fluid from getting on the carpet. OOPS!

After finding a place to cut a section out of the line that I wanted to run the tee, I installed it using the compression fittings and then Threading the sending unit into the Tee. I used Thead sealer on all but the compression sets themselves. You may want to run the tee on the other line for the out-line to cooler. I plan on running two so I did the easiest one first.
This is where I installed it.

As for the gauge I found a good place on the center of the dash. For the light in the gauge, I spliced into the heater switch light which was the top most connector on the plug behind the heater switch unit. I beleive it was an orange or red wire.

I know you may be thinking that the gauge is in the way of the 4wheel shifter but it slips right past it, besides, this is only temporary until I throw down for the pillar setup.

Hope this helps some of you who like the mechanical as opposed to the electronic gauges. I find these to be more accurate.

Quick Reply: DIY - Transmission Temperature Gauge Install