2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

taillight covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Skoubah
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taillight covers

Does anyone have "smoke" taillight covers they can show me on their truck.

When i look at them on jcwhitney they look kinda like silver and black. Not fully black as those are the blackouts which are illegal, so i figure the smoke is more transparent.

however upon searching google for "smoke taillight covers on dodge ram" im seeing pictures of the blackouts. Is that just how they come for the ram? I ordered smoke headlight covers and blackout taillight covers from jcwhitney. Then sent me blackouts for both. Turns out i like the blackouts in front but im concerned about the blackouts in back. So im about to exchange them but the more i look at the smoke on the website the more ugly they look and as i said upon google image'ing them to see if i can see what they would really look like i getting nothing but blackouts shown. People are calling the "smoke" "blackouts"

So now im just very confused.

Ill provide some links to help

Here are the smoke taillight covers

http://www.jcwhitney.com/smoke-black.../p2016515.jcwx

now please notice how they are half silver and half black but also notice how crappy the line is separating the 2 colors. Looks cheesy.

Now look at this dodge ram (very first image)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2925170

This guy is calling these taillight covers "smoke" notice they look nothing like the smoke ones im linking and look exactly like the blackouts.

gahhhhhhh!!!!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:50 AM
kissmymagnum
Professional

The line that you are talking about in the pic on jcwhitney is their simulated shadow on the side of it... The whole thing is going to be dark as that is how they are made. Most all smoked covers are the same as blackouts. Their pic is just throwing you off a bit. They will be dark though.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:59 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

heres a pic of mine but i lightly misted it with nite shades, its almost a black-cherry color in person

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/y...g?t=1277791854

Old 07-18-2010, 04:15 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Personally, I am not a fan of anything that darkens your tail lamps. There are many guys around my city that run them, and at night even slight tints make them harder to see. Whats the point of having tail lamps if you can't see them? The "cool" factor starts to wear pretty thin when you get rear ended because someone can't see you.

Just my two cents.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:10 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^++ jasonw

My idiot father had clear lenses on his Gee-Em-See and when I almost got poked while driving it because the lamp covers were more pink than red, I got him some LED lamps. They had enough estrogen in them to keep his ***gy *** happy but were bright enough to keep me happy.

Hooray for stockers with nice bright lamps behind them.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Skoubah
Rookie

Originally Posted by kissmymagnum
The line that you are talking about in the pic on jcwhitney is their simulated shadow on the side of it... The whole thing is going to be dark as that is how they are made. Most all smoked covers are the same as blackouts. Their pic is just throwing you off a bit. They will be dark though.
Awesome, thanks for the explanation.

Originally Posted by jasonw
Personally, I am not a fan of anything that darkens your tail lamps. There are many guys around my city that run them, and at night even slight tints make them harder to see. Whats the point of having tail lamps if you can't see them? The "cool" factor starts to wear pretty thin when you get rear ended because someone can't see you.

Just my two cents.
I appreciate your 2 cents but to each their own. My old dodge was red and black and even though the blackouts may have looked alright i always though it was a bit silly. Now, i crashed that truck and have a silver dodge, and for some reason the black lights just really look great on the silver. Also my truck is my Sunday driver, not my daily driver. So i think i will be ok on the fun trips i take. If it were my DD i can see your point because the odds of something happening are much higher. Who knows man, maybe i wont use the taillight and just the headlights, i really wont know till i field test these things.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:43 PM
acsamples79
Veteran

if i were you, id recommend buying a can of VHT niteshade for $7-10 depending.... mask off the edges and spray away, so you can determine how light or how dark you want to tint them.....i did like 4 coats of niteshade on mine, they look solid black but still were pretty noticable for light, as months have gone by since ive tinted them, theyve worn a little and the light comes through even better, but still looks good, ive have had multiple times where someone pulled out in front of me and ive had to slam on my brakes and have others behind me have had to do the same, and never once have i been rearended, they can obviously see my lights just fine during the day and obviously at night...

Quick Reply: taillight covers