2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Very helpful! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:45 AM
verbious1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very helpful! Thanks!

So far the forum has been very helpful. Many thanks to the mods and everyone that has contributed.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:30 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what did you fix ?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:13 AM
verbious1

After a few weeks of reading, I have found out everything that I will ever need to know about my "new to me" Ram.

I got my quad cab door open, changed a tie rod end, as well as replaced the plugs and wire and dropped in a Spectre washable air filter.

No plans for lifting or modding this truck other than basic bolt on stuff. I need the truck to be functional, reliable, and dependable. I have learned through much experience that once you start modding stuff, trouble and/or inconvenience soon follow. I ride a motorcycle as often as possible and only use the truck when the bike is down, or the weather is too bad to ride, or when something needs hauled. It will become my daily driver during the winter if I can't ride.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if you have any other little quirks and can't find a fix through a search then feel free to start a thread and we'll help you out. There is a very good chance that anything you might have problems with has been dealt with on here before.

Do your vents switch from face to defrost when you start going up a hill?
Does your engine sound like it has marbles rattling around in it when you put a load on it, like going up a hill in overdrive?
Does your idle jump to about 900 rpms when you start it and stay there for about half a minute then drop down to 600 rpm, or does it do something different?
Those are three of the biggest issues that get covered on here.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 AM
verbious1

Thanks Sherriff! I haven't noticed any of the 3 things that you have listed, but I will pay attention to the idle thing. I did noticed that sometimes when I start the Ram, it sounds as if it has a big, gnarly cam in it. I wonder if I am getting some wire cross talk?

I still have some steering wander. Given the condition of the long tie rod that runs from passenger side to the driver side, I can only assume the rest of the tie rods also need replaced.

I also need a set of tires. The Michelins that are on the truck are not only bald, but they have some really weird cracks in the side walls.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bad tires can cause your truck to roll like it's drunk. So can worn out bushings in your track bar.

It wouldn't hurt to clean your idle air control motor and the bore on the throttle body with some carburator cleaner and a few q-tips. That might get rid of the big cam sound.

If you're going to mess with the wires then you should read this TSB http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

Before you replace those tie rod ends, take them loose and move them around to feel for any play. Mine had cracked boots on them and when I took them loose they felt fine so I just replaced the boots. The whole time they were cracked (dry rotted) I kept them packed full of grease, I just shot it in there and let it mush out all around.

Quick Reply: Very helpful! Thanks!