2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Electrical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:32 PM
socalsac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issue?

I have an after market stereo in my truck. Its been in there for 3 years and never had a problem until lastnight. As I turned my truck on and went to plug my iPod in I noticed that my stereo was not on. I tried to turn it on and it wouldnt. After several attempts I gave up. I then tilted my steering wheel down as I always do to get ready to leave and the darn thing turned on!!!! I put the steering wheel all the way back up and the stereo turned off!!! Whats the deal? What could possibly be connected? Is there some sort of trigger in there letting me know that there is something wrong somewhere else? All my fuses look good.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

ya it sounds like maybe your multifunction switch in the steering column is going or just has a bad connection

Old 09-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I take it you use your tilt regularly? It is somewhat common to break the wires in the column after years of tilting the wheel. I would say you probably have some broken wire insulation allowing something to short out in there. Are you sure it's only the radio that is cutting out and not other lights, accessories, etc.?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

I believe the part you need is called a clock spring. It's basically a wire ribbon that winds and unwinds as you turn the wheel. Unfortunately, it's a dealer-only item. But check your store to make sure.

When it gets worse(if it is the clock spring, and it should be), your airbag light will turn on. Then the airbag will not deploy.

Quick Reply: Electrical issue?