2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

How much to ask for my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll give ya 20 bucks for it.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 PM
sk8erdude
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
I'll give ya 20 bucks for it.
lol, im gonna need a little more than that for it....

Old 10-14-2010, 05:49 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll go $40.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:41 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Well you said diesel, so I was assuming!

Seriously, the actual design of Cummins is better than V-8 style diesels.

As stated earlier, the Cummins is inline 6 cylinder, thus more torque at low end
94-98 1/2 12 Valve Cummins manual 420 ft lbs @ 1600 RPM (and that is peak torque)
VS 7.3 stroke has high peak torque around 2700 RPM

Also because the powerstroke is a v-8, there 25-30% more parts to break than the I-6 Cummins. And when it comes time to rebuild the engine...you have to pull the cab off! Much much easier to pull and rebuild a cummins, not that you would ever have to if maintained properly...they will last easily over 500000 miles and are known to make it past 1 million. Not to mention their is way more room in the engine bay than the ford or chevy...with them you gotta take crap apart just to get to something. Cummins is the LARGEST diesel company in the world and are very well known. They a quality engine and back it up...they have been around since the 20's and racing since early 40's with diesel technology. Cummins is proven the BEST around. And they are the easiest/cheapest to put HP and TQ into versus the v-8 style diesels...something to keep in mind if plan modding it out...big $$$ to make some power outta the strokes!

You outta really consider doing a little research into the diesels before you go get a FORD. The 7.3 stroke is a good strong engine even though not as good as Cummins. Either way dude, DO NOT GET A PIECE OF **** 6.0 Stroke...They are garbage garbage garbage!
Check this out!
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/cummins-diesel.html

Old 10-15-2010, 12:19 PM
sk8erdude
Veteran

yeah i will NOT be getting the 6.0 the truck im looking at has a 7.3. im not 100% sure that im going to get a powerstroke, but there arent a whole lot of cummins for sale and if they are, they're $$$$. so we'll see what happens....

Old 10-15-2010, 01:44 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

I'm kinda going against the grain here. I personally like the 7.3 Powerstroke. I am a die hard Dodge and Cummins guy, but credit needs to be given to Ford's Powerstroke. There are plenty of them up here in my area of WI that are between 200k-300k miles with little to no problems throughout its life. And they haven't been babied they've been worked. Cummins is great but with the name comes the expense. Between the price of the actual truck, and the price of parts. Powerstroke parts are pricey too don't get me wrong... but welcome to the diesel world thats the name of the game.

And when it comes to pulling the cab off. Don't let that bother you, actually slick thats a huge plus to buying a Powerstroke! They aren't that hard to take off, hell semi trucks have been doing it since damn near the stone age. I've talked to heavy duty mechanics about this and hands down they would rather pull a Powerstroke then a Cummins. But maybe I just don't mind getting my hands dirty.

Cummins is got a lot of flash because of its name, but unless someone has owned both I think it is unfair to say one is better then the other. Sure if its a older 12v it is way easier to mod and get power out of it. But both are very stout units.
You know what you need. If you have had experience with the Powerstroke and like it, then by all means buy one. It all comes down to what you need it for, and what your plans are for it. But I just fiqured I would throw this bit of information to you.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:19 PM
sk8erdude
Veteran

well shes sold, for $4800.... its hard to let go of something you put alot os sweat and blood into, let me tell ya...

still dont have any idea of what to get next...

Old 10-16-2010, 04:29 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

IMHO i wouldnt get a powerstroke, i hear they have alot of problems where diesel fuel will get into the coolant, and other major problems...

id go cummins....ive had experiances with fords as well as my father, and they are the biggest piece of crap on the market, i will NEVER EVER get something that has to do with ford EVER again.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:47 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
id go cummins....ive had experiances with fords as well as my father, and they are the biggest piece of crap on the market, i will NEVER EVER get something that has to do with ford EVER again.

+++1

My dads powerstroke is a joke. Mechanical problems before 50K...only 12 mpg hwy, and it was 55K brand new....Blk Betty drives nicer and gets better fuel economy than his 08 F350 diesel, its kinda sad actually. And shes just an old work truck gasser.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:16 PM
sk8erdude
Veteran

yeah but you cant argue with the fact that ford out sold chevy and dodge combined for diesel trucks...

i will agree that the powerstrokes reliability seems to be a hit or miss...

this is how ive heard to broke down...
dodge has the best motor
ford has the best chassis
chevy has both

Quick Reply: How much to ask for my truck?