2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

air compressors

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:23 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air compressors

how do i choose an air compressor?

i dont want to spend too much, but i dont want to spend too little and not be able to make good use of it.

what am i looking for? i want to use it for various pneumatic autmotive tools.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:00 PM
InTheDirt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its really going to depend upon what type of tools you plan on using and how often. Air drills, sanders, and cutters use up a large volume of air very quickly, so if you are using these tools heavily, make sure that you get a compressor that has a high CFM rating at the psi level you wish to run. About 5yrs ago, I bought a Wally's special that included basic air tools for about $200. I don't remember the specifics on it, but it is a little under-rated for what I do with it in my shop. For the price, I couldn't resist. Even sporadic uses of my air ratchet will get the motor hot from constant cycles. Also, make sure that you get a decent air line to go between the compressor and the tool. Too small (3/8) and you won't get the volume. I bumped up to 1/2 and it made a big difference on my impact and air chisel.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:07 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

it is still hard to say what you would need. i spent a bit over $500 on a compressor that will work for what i need but it is not very portable and runs on 220vac. i have know someone that spent nearly $200 a compressor and it sucked and would not kick on until it was lower than it should be when it kicks on.

Quick Reply: air compressors