2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Plasti Dip

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 AM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasti Dip

Hey guys, so I had some awesome weather yesterday and got a wild hair and painted my wheels with plasti dip. The wheels turned out awesome, I have tried searching for it but came up with no real good answers from acutal user of plasti dip. I want to mask off the bottom section of my truck and spray plasti dip on the the body panels to protect from rocks and what not, cause I hate mud flaps!!! Has anyone done this? Did it turn out well? Also I plasti dip fine to use a pressure washer on as long as it isnt crazy pressure. I bought a 1500 psi pressure washer and thats what I wash my vehicles with now. I just dont want the stuff to peel off if I spray it on the truck its self and it ends up peelin I'll have to redo the entire thing. Any suggestions and do and dont would be great. Ill post some pics of the wheels in a little while.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt use plasti-dip on the rockers I would go with a roll on bedliner, the pasti-dip wears over time from chemicals and is not as strong as a bedliner

Old 04-11-2011, 01:20 PM
jaqattack02

Plasti-Dip also dries into a somewhat rubberlike substance. I did something similar to what you're referring to on an old Cherokee I had. Instead of chipping it will peel, and once some begins to peel it pulls more off with it, like a sheet of rubber. I agree with the above, I'd go with some kind of bed liner or underbody coating. You can get either of them in a spray can to do what you're looking to do.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:02 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

I wish I would have read this before I did it lol. COMEPLETE FAIL!! Im not one to admit when I fail but I did horribly. I had it all masked off and taped beautifuly, painted it, turned out great looking went to remove the damn tape and it just ripped the plasti along with the tape! SUCK! Oh well I plan on getting the Dupli color kevlar bed liner stuff here in the summer so Ill just get a few cans exra and do it right lol. Leason learned

Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Plasti-Dip sounds like something to get hicks off of dipping...

Old 04-11-2011, 03:51 PM
jaqattack02

Originally Posted by 97Rampowerhouse
I wish I would have read this before I did it lol. COMEPLETE FAIL!! Im not one to admit when I fail but I did horribly. I had it all masked off and taped beautifuly, painted it, turned out great looking went to remove the damn tape and it just ripped the plasti along with the tape! SUCK! Oh well I plan on getting the Dupli color kevlar bed liner stuff here in the summer so Ill just get a few cans exra and do it right lol. Leason learned
the trick to that is that after you're done and it dries, take a razor blade and run it along the edge of the tape. That way there is a cut seam between the plasti dip on the tape and on the body. Then you can peel the tape off cleanly.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:57 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

I plasti dipped my wheels yesterday and masked them off and didnt have any problem with the tape peeling off the plasti. Oh well ill just wait and do it the right way lol

Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Plasti-Dip sounds like something to get hicks off of dipping...

Hey now no redneck bashin here lol

Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

If you visit the 3rd gen section, you'll see (or least you used to) lots of info on that plasti-dip stuff. Some of those id... I mean, good people ... have used it for all sorts of things, some cool, some ridiculous.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:04 AM
formerkingoftheroad1999
Default Dupli color is awesome but takes time to cure

Originally Posted by 97Rampowerhouse
Be careful with Dupli Color too! The 2 most important things is how you pull the tape off and how long you let it dry. My best results came from waiting 3-4 times the amount of time that the manufacturer recomended before pulling the tape. Always use 2 coats. Mine's like a tank now!

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip