2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Paint/Bodywork help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:43 AM
i mow grass
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint/Bodywork help

Hey I was wondering if any of y'all are body or paint guys. The black trim just behind the driver's door jamb is starting to peel off and I was wondering if I can replace it or just remove it all together without leaving a very noticeable difference. I am not sure if it is a vinyl type overlay or if it is actually painted on there. Here are a couple pictures of it.

Last edited by i mow grass; 02-14-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i saw a thread long time ago,,, it turned out to be a factory part that they got from the dealer

i would take it of,, tape it up and paint

Old 07-04-2011, 02:32 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a vinyl overlay, not sure what the paint underneath it will look like though.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:58 PM
garam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, it appears to be some type of vinyl on it. You can get an adhesive remover to clean off the glue residue. As for the remaining vinyl try to pull it off. If that doesn't work use a heat gun but be very careful not to over heat it and damage something else. You may even try a hair dryer. After you get the stuff off wash the truck, use a mild polishing compound (if needed) and wax the entire truck.
If you like the look of it, take your truck to a local vehicle graphics sign shop and ask them to replace it. Shouldn't be to much to replace something like that. To save some money remove the old stuff (like I described above) and ask them to cut the new stuff so you can apply it your self at home. But either way, if you want to replace it, take it to them first before removing it so they can see how it's suppose to look.

Last edited by garam; 07-06-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Paint/Bodywork help