2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need Help figuring the problem with my truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011 | 03:06 PM
one_of_a_kind_ram
|
Default Need Help figuring the problem with my truck

Hey guys ive been on this site for awhile looking at all the information you guys have but this is my first actual post because im stuck trying to figure out this problem for the past 2 months...Ive got a 95 ram 1500 5.9 magnum and i keep hearing this strange ticking noise coming from under the hood. Now it only happens when i acceralate and when im braking it happens when the engine is hot or cold. I've replaced the water pump, tensioner assembly, idler pulley, fan clutch and put a new belt on...and still have the tick. Ive been told it could be a sticky lifter but since ive owned it i always do 3,000 mile oil changes with synthetic and lucas additive and i always buy premium gas at the same station every week...Any help or input would be great guys thanks

Old 12-14-2011 | 03:12 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran

It could be any number of things. Off the top of my head-

Valve train noise- less likely than most people think

Vacuum leak

Bad spark plug/improperly gapped plug, but my bet is-

Cracked/leaky exhaust manifold.

Old 12-14-2011 | 03:13 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Hows the plenum? Might be pinging. Could still be a lifter though.

Old 12-14-2011 | 03:18 PM
one_of_a_kind_ram
|

yea i thought it could be a leaky exhaust manifold to cause it seemed to look like the gasket was worn but the noise is a constant tick. And Kejobe do you know where i could buy the plenum kit if that is the problem?

Old 12-14-2011 | 04:14 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

A plenum leak wont cause a tick on its own. If there is a leak it will cause a vacum leak in the manifold, which in turn will cause pinging. The "repair kit" is available from Hughes engines or the plate from ebay. Read this, it tells all: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/286307-end-all-be-all-plenum-thread.html

Old 12-14-2011 | 09:38 PM
gdstock
Legend

Use a stethescope to see if you can isolate where the ticking is coming from. But check the plenmum as it is a genetic problem on these engines.

Quick Reply: Need Help figuring the problem with my truck