2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

"Crate" 5.9 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 PM
AZnative
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Crate" 5.9 won't start

Ok a quick background. I cracked the block (5.9 gas) in my '94 2500 and slowly but surely got around to locating and installing a remanufactured long block from Fliteline Engine Supply. After getting everything all pieced together I turned the key only to hear the starter go but nothing else.

Fuel pressure is golden so I followed the power trail to and through the ignition coil to the cap but it never reaches the plugs. It has a brand new cap, new rotor, new plugs and wires. From what I remember it is the original distributor, which at this point is the only thing I can think to replace. It does have an aftermarket alarm which I have a remote for and the steering column including the old ignition cylinder was torn apart when someone tried to steal it but obviously none of that matters if power is reaching the cap. I have basic backyard knowledge of how an engine works so please bear with me. Thanks for any help!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:58 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you may have forgotten to reconnect the cam sensor at the dist. It's the flat disc shaped deal in the bottom of the dist under the cap that has 2 wires going to a connector plug. The cam sensor may also be bad or it could be a bad crank sensor.

Also check the main fuse in the fuse box under the hood, 140 amp IIRC, and switch out the ASD (Automatic Shut Down) relay with another one in the fuse box to see if it changes anything. Do you have all the ground wires, especially the ones from the firewall to the valve covers connected?

Old 06-01-2012, 03:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1... And is the crank sensor the original one? Was it removed before taking old motor out and reinstalled after putting new motor in?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:44 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if he got it running.......

Quick Reply: "Crate" 5.9 won't start