2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

OBD1 to OBD2 Swap??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm starting from the premise that I doubt you could do the entire swap for $100 in the first place but feel free to prove me wrong. Don't forget that an SCT is another $300+ on top of that too.

I'll continue enjoying tuning everything myself for not much money.

If you plan on boosting (you didn't specify what your plans are) I strongly advise not using factory junk.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
I'm starting from the premise that I doubt you could do the entire swap for $100 in the first place but feel free to prove me wrong. Don't forget that an SCT is another $300+ on top of that too.

I'll continue enjoying tuning everything myself for not much money.

If you plan on boosting (you didn't specify what your plans are) I strongly advise not using factory junk.
Good point on the extra cost of the SCT. My plans are a naturally aspirated stroked magnum v8 (think 408), mildly built to be a daily driveable powerhouse/torquer. I was under the impression that a standalone computer like you have would run upwards of $1000... That piggyback (Perfect Power SMT6) that was mentioned in one of the threads I linked can be bought for about $420. Would that be a good option for big tuneability? I would love to hear more about your setup. Thanks Hahns, you are the guy around here to talk about custom computer stuff.

A lot of the reason I am interested in the OBD2 is the better diagnostics system for the time being, since I doubt I will realize the dream of my built motor for quite a while.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Megasquirt 2 ECMs start at $250, add a wiring harness and a wideband an you're around $500. MS2 needs a second input circuit built to see our cam sensor but it's cheap and documented. MS3 starts at $378, another $90 if you want sequential injection (I don't miss it). MS3 works out of the box with our crank/cam sensors.

My setup is a very simple fuel only setup (and IAC) that gets it's RPM signal from the (-) coil wire. I'd like to take over timing soon too, possibly by doing an EDIS conversion. It also controls my fan relay, unlike a failure prone fan controller.

Last edited by Hahns5.2; 06-02-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

I went to Megasquirt's page and read up on their different systems, and boy that looks like fun. I really like the idea of being able to change the tune any time I want to, to best suit my driving style. Seems like the best way to go about tuning, if one is willing to sit down and learn the theory and how to do it (which I definitely am). So now I have to decide if an OBD2 conversion is worth it in the short term, until I go bigger...

Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is a few months old... But did you make any decisions on it?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

If I keep my truck I might start thinking about it again. But after the wreck in november I stopped thinking about what was gonna be next. I still think it would be simple to do though.

Quick Reply: OBD1 to OBD2 Swap??