2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Buck Simmons. RIP.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:12 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Buck Simmons. RIP.

Buck Simmons, a legend in Georgia dirt track racing, has passed away.

in the late 60's, we used to go to Dixie Speedway in Woodstock, Ga on saturday nights. it was originally a dirt track and later paved. the two main stars were Buck Simmons in his Chevy and Jody Ridley in his Ford Falcon. my neighbors raced there with lots of enthusiasm and PBR but had little success against those two. everyone ran big block engines with few rules.

With 1012 feature wins, that's an average of 25/year over 40 years. That's about right because Simmons would win one week and Ridley the next. actually they raced several nights per week all over the north georgia.

http://www.accessnorthga.com/access/...etail&id=45276

Old 08-16-2012, 07:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Bummer, the loss of a another real grass roots racer/pioneer sucks. I for one have gone back to the local racing, I live 30 minutes from NHMS, but I'd rather go to Star Speedway, Lee Raceway and NE Dragway (which just got bought out by NHRA). Can you say big money coming to help out the local economy? I can't wait to see if it pulls in more money than bike week in Loudon. I also cant wait to see what dick says,( Berggren that is). You DF members from NH, somersworth, rochester, epping, milford, manchester and other towns I'm forgetting, lets get together some time before the summer is over. And hit Lee or Star .

Old 08-16-2012, 08:17 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zman17
Bummer, the loss of a another real grass roots racer/pioneer sucks. I for one have gone back to the local racing, I live 30 minutes from NHMS, but I'd rather go to Star Speedway, Lee Raceway and NE Dragway (which just got bought out by NHRA). Can you say big money coming to help out the local economy? I can't wait to see if it pulls in more money than bike week in Loudon. I also cant wait to see what dick says,( Berggren that is). You DF members from NH, somersworth, rochester, epping, milford, manchester and other towns I'm forgetting, lets get together some time before the summer is over. And hit Lee or Star .
dont forget dover, barrington, strafford, milton, and lee..... haha sorry z, i had too. never been to lee speedway, and ive never heard of star...... NE dragway sounds like fun! my buddy was running there last night with his mustang.....

ill call you in a bit, waiting for my phone to charge up.

Quick Reply: Buck Simmons. RIP.