2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 02:24 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blown motor

in 2009 my motor was suffering from oil pressure issues so i tested the oil pressure with a manual gauge and it showed 9psi i also did a compression test on the motor and it was 190 psi all the way across. Being that the motor was rebuilt in 2005 and maybe 35k miles were put on it since then i was quite puzzled as it had been rigorusly maintained...so i yanked the motor out in spring of 09 took it in to engine rebuilder to have the bearings checked and got them to install a high volume oil pump they said all the bearings checked out and the clearances were within in spec and that they couldnt find a thing wrong with my motor and perhaps i had a faultly oil pressure test gauge...so i dropped the engine back in and guess what? still oil pressure issues...i tested with 3 different mechanical gauges and same result of 9psi..so i shrugged it off as a clogged sending unit port because it ran awesome with all kinds of power and had awesome compression...until yesterday..i was stomped on it climbing up a small hill in town and thats when i heard the awful knocking of one of my mainbearings letting go. and this is where im at...

Old 09-23-2012, 04:44 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so ripped the main bearing caps off to find out one of them was worn so thin it was like tin foil and the crankshaft had broken in half beside the first wieght behind the balancer...so i sent it off to a machine shop and they are in the middle of installing blue printing and balancing 408 internals..so for this is what i have going on for componets...

eagle forged rotating assembly with i beam rods
comp cams camshaft part number 20-604-9
edelbrock aluminum heads
gibson stainless ceramic headers part number GP301S-C
hughes airgap intake manifold
fms 24# fuel injectors
march underdrive pulleys
sct tuner with a custom tune from hemifever

just a uncomplete list of what i have going into it so far...

Quick Reply: blown motor