2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Started with a 1757, then a 1740 on a 46RE, final broken boost clip!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:19 PM
watrboi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started with a 1757, then a 1740 on a 46RE, final broken boost clip!

Hello all! Long time lurker, first time threader.

I know there are PLENTY of other posts on these same issues but everyone's experiences are a little different so I am adding my 46 RE story, I apologize in advance if I offend the moderators.

First I want to say thanks to all who made and make this page happen. The DIY industry would be in a pitfall if there wasnt a gathering place where men and women can gather and express ideas, questions, problems, etc.

I recently bought my RAM, a 2001 1500 5.9 4x4, with 130,000 miles knowing it had a CEL #P1757, I researched this forum thouroughly before the purchase and from that research gathered that it was the Governor pressure solenoid and pressure transducer, and further researched that I, as novice a mechanic as could be, with the write-ups on this forum could easily fix such a problem, and made the offer/purchased the vehicle on consideration of this, I paid $3000. The truck had the issue of from a stop, it wanting to start off in 2nd gear instead of first, facilitating the need of more gas pedal!

I got the parts (Governor solenoid/transducer) from my local Dodge dealer ($$ mi$take $$) and followed these instructions: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...d-install.html and watched this video
. Success! It then wants to get up and go from a stop, although I never really got on it.

So, 50 miles later I am getting on the interstate and I notice that I do not have O/D. The O/D off button was not depressed and is not illuminated, still, I did not have O/D as the RPM's were nearly 3K at 60 mph. I drove for about 100 miles like this before I got it home. The next day I start it up and drive for a few miles still shifting great 1,2,3 just no 4. Then CEL comes on #P1740 "TCC/OD Solenoid Performance". Well great, another solenoid out.

Time to pull the pan again, and still no drain plug! I first notice that my new oil with roughly 200 miles on it does smell burnt, why? I assumed it was because I drove it at such high RPM's for that length of time but another thing is I still have the check valve. So, I pull the valve body by following these instructions: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...with-pics.html and I removed the solenoid and harness. I decided to go ahead and clean the valve body very good and check the 3-4 accumulator spring, etc and upon inspection I found that the clip that holds the booster valve spring in was BROKEN!

Upon cleaning I also found a tiny bit of a spring, which I assume came from this spring but I cannot find any evidence of this. I am now going to install the Sonnex Sure Cure kit, and a new TCC/OD solenoid, delete the check valve, install drain plug and add an external cooler/filter. I am hoping with this find and improvements and future and frequent maintenance I can pamper this transmission for another 100K miles.

What do you guys think?

Also, I have seen it mentioned that there is an upgrade for the Boost plate, so is the clip also upgraded? If there is a better part out there I want to replace it with something that is superior, and this stainless steel clip should not have been broken in the first place. So if anyone knows of the part# or where to get it please inform, it takes A LOT of time to dig through the search forum. And Boost Clip pulls out a lot of random threads and posts, most of which are unrelated.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Started with a 1757, then a 1740 on a 46RE, final broken boost clip!-539820_4975679162490_1632429016_n.jpg   Started with a 1757, then a 1740 on a 46RE, final broken boost clip!-1-watrboi-229943-albums-garage-dont-tread-on-me-17269-picture-539820-4975679162490-1632429016-n-.jpg   Started with a 1757, then a 1740 on a 46RE, final broken boost clip!-1-watrboi-229943-albums-garage-dont-tread-on-me-17269-picture-539820-4975679162490-1632429016-n-.jpg  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:35 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ALthough recently reported here that an accmulator clip is prone to breakng, I have not seen this, and have only recently heard of it. The spring in the acccumlatir is a different story, and I have not seen one that was NOT broken.

For information on parts and part numbers, see www.wittrans.com or www.patc.com. Both places are reputable and will seel you as much or as little as you need. Their cust service is great, and they are knowledgeable as well. I have deal with both places and have nothing negative about either!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 PM
watrboi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link, I'll check them out.

Did you mean to leave me the police link too, lol!!! I can always brush up on my training, at least range time.

On the oil burnt smell, with only roughly 200 miles on it, could that just be what I assumed about the check valve and driving it without OD? I just dont wanna add all these parts and new oil if the tranny is showing a sign of a needed rebuild that I am not seeing. I think most people believe a rebuild is necessary when it's not.

Thanks again!

Last edited by watrboi; 02-08-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ooops. PATC (the correct one) can be found here... http://www.transmissioncenter.net/

I recently toasted my OD because of blocked fluid from coolant (but not check valve so to speak....long story..)

If fluid smells burned after 200 miles, I suspect it is severly damaged. Check the check valve as that could be the cause. But deleting it will not solve the burned frictions or bands. Time to prepare for a rebuild.

Quick Reply: Started with a 1757, then a 1740 on a 46RE, final broken boost clip!