2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Getting ready for camping!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 PM
knoxy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready for camping!

As usual I've got a few things to do to get a sticker on the Blue Bomber before camping season. Leaving this here as some form of accountability to the internet.

1. fix tail pipe. One of the 2 tail pipes rotted through and fell off a few feet from the end. Need to replace that section for now. rest of the pipe seem solid. gotta replace the whole muffler eventually.

2. replace rotted tranny pan & change filter. Fluid is seeping through the pan. Not dripping, just seeping, but it looks ready to give way. Gonna get a pan with a drain plug.

3. Patch hole in floor near drivers left foot. Got a 2x5 inch hole near where the brake cable comes through the floor. I've got a welder but the area is too rusty and in a weird spot under the cab. Probably gonna clean up the rust near the hole and most likely rivet & jb weld a piece of metal over the hole.

4. Replace front passenger brake line and hose. Noticed it was leaking where the old line had rusted through where it meets the hose. Fortunately I've got a double flare tool, some brake line, and a one-man brake bleeder from when I fixed the line on the other side. Just need to grab some unions and a new hose.

If I can get all that done by next thursday, I can go camping for Memorial Day!
Getting ready for camping!-ujb6xqp.jpg

Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 PM
knoxy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a bunch done last weekend.

Patched the hole in the floor. Had to grind out a 5x10 inch section. Ended up welding it in from the inside, sprayed it with some rust converting primer then smeared the inside with seam sealer. Coated the underside with a thick under body spray.

Note to self: Wear gloves when using an angle grinder on sheet metal.

That was saturday. Spent the day sunday underneath replacing the tranny pan & filter. Only dumped ~1qt in the driveway. Fluid was nasty brown. There was some very fine sludge caked on the magnet, No chunks, almost like a paste, definitely magnetic. Tranny still functions fine at 175K so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Went to Advance Auto Parts to grab some 3/16" brake line fittings. Specifically asked for union fittings. The wingnut brings me compression fittings and insists this is what I needed. Kept arguing with me until I pointed out the warning label on the box: "Do not use in automotive brake systems".

Hoping to get a small section of brake line replaced this evening, and then chop off the rusty section of tail pipe so I can get it fitted up tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for camping!