2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Toyo Open Country MT VS Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 PM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyo Open Country MT VS Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ!

New to these forums so bare with me.

I've been looking around for some Mud-Terrains for my '95 1500 5.9L. I don't go crazy, but I like to hunt and fish, so I need something that can get me through some nasty crap. The thing is this is also my DD, so they need to have good treadlife, which is why I chose these two. I have a 9" Lift on my truck (6"Sus/3"Body). These tires will be 35s. An added benefit is that the Toyos are 13.50, instead of 12.50 like the Mickeys, but I'd like to hear your guy's opinions since most of you probably know more than me. I'll post pics of the tires below. Thanks.

Toyo Open Country MT:

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ:

Attached Thumbnails Toyo Open Country MT VS Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ!-toyo.jpg   Toyo Open Country MT VS Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ!-mickey.jpg  

Last edited by BBartow; 06-19-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 06-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Tread life and mud tire dont often mix. What is your gear ratio in the diffs? 4.56 is what recommended for 35" tires.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star

If you want treadlife, get an all-terrain tire. I got the mud claws m/t on mine and they seem to be wearing pretty good though.

I rotate them every 3,000 miles just to be on the safe side and have them aired up at 36psi. If you don't maintain your mud tires, they definitley won't last long.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 PM
BBartow
Captain

Yeah I have 4.56s. When I say good treadlife I mean something that is better than a Super Swamper or Grappler, since they wear out so fast. The tires I've mentioned usually get 45-60K miles (Rotation w/ oil changes). So I'm really just trying to get some opinions on which perform better. A/Ts just won't cut it with what I need to go through. Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you would be impressed with what a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM's will get through. I never once got stuck with them on my 1wd and i went through some demanding stuff. But im willing to bet that their Dynapro MT's would last just as long as my ATMs did. I got about 75k outta them.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
I think you would be impressed with what a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM's will get through. I never once got stuck with them on my 1wd and i went through some demanding stuff. But im willing to bet that their Dynapro MT's would last just as long as my ATMs did. I got about 75k outta them.
Ive heard they last quite a good amount of time too, they may be something to look at. For what you posted though, tbh what ever is cheaper! They will work the same.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

I like I thinner tire better in mud, the m/t you have posted are a great all round tire you should get 50k out of them the toyos are garbage I went trough a set in 20k

you may want to look at the general grabber at2 they are a 10ply tire and are awesome for the price I have them on my old mans truck they are great in the winter and mud as well as towing the 8000lbs fifth wheel camper

Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

Originally Posted by BBartow
Yeah I have 4.56s. When I say good treadlife I mean something that is better than a Super Swamper or Grappler, since they wear out so fast. The tires I've mentioned usually get 45-60K miles (Rotation w/ oil changes). So I'm really just trying to get some opinions on which perform better. A/Ts just won't cut it with what I need to go through. Thanks for the replies.
I have gone through some real nasty clay with a/ts its all about knowing how to drive though mud

Old 06-20-2013, 12:20 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can speak directly about the MTZ (click) in size 315/70/17. I offroad pretty regularly, 1 to 3x a month, all seasons on these tires. You're definitely going to be much milder than me.

I wheel with alot of people on Toyos. Hands down the toughest and most durable. I don't think they do that well in mud. Meaning just not as what I'd expect, but they still get the job done.

Note that there are some really good A/Ts out there than can accomplish your goals just as well, especially for your stated usage.

Originally Posted by BBartow
New to these forums so bare with me.

I've been looking around for some Mud-Terrains for my '95 1500 5.9L. I don't go crazy, but I like to hunt and fish, so I need something that can get me through some nasty crap. The thing is this is also my DD, so they need to have good treadlife, which is why I chose these two. I have a 9" Lift on my truck (6"Sus/3"Body). These tires will be 35s. An added benefit is that the Toyos are 13.50, instead of 12.50 like the Mickeys, but I'd like to hear your guy's opinions since most of you probably know more than me. I'll post pics of the tires below. Thanks.

Toyo Open Country MT:

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ:

Old 06-26-2013, 03:18 PM
nighthawk10mm

I have ran 35" Toyo M/T’s on my 81 GMC and I loved them. They didn’t clear mud 100% but they did a good job of keeping it from clogging. Took it into about 18" of sloppy mud at 5mph in 2wd and it went about 30-40 feet before I had to put it in 4H then finished the other 10-20 feet in the pit with no problems at all. I only had the truck for about two years but put nearly 30k on the tires with plenty of life left in them when I sold it. Would highly recommend for a DD that sees a decent amount of mud.

Quick Reply: Toyo Open Country MT VS Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ!