2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

First truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh. That's cool.

/backontopic

Old 09-27-2013, 01:27 AM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SXTspeed
I'm looking at possibly getting my first truck and a lot of the cheaper ones I'm seeing are mid 90's Ram 1500's. Must haves would be extended or crew cab, 4x4, no 8 ft bed, less than 150,000 miles (lower the better obviously). Now a lot of people say that for this time period Ford had better bodies and GM had better drivetrains, and Dodge was decent but not great and had more frequent problems.

I'm looking to get input on that statement, from people that actually have owned them.

Another issue I'm having with these years is the power output. To me it seems like the power is lacking quite a bit. I mean 5.9L V8 only 230hp and 340 ft lbs? Just seems low.

School me on this

PS: Wrong section, please move
First off 360 has 245hp not 230. A 350 only puts out the same hp and 270 tq i believe it was... Plus that junk ifs? Why would you want a truck with that? Each one of them will have there problems you can't expect a vehicle not too... Trans issues and plenums are the main with these trucks. Can't keep gas in em either but what truck can ya? Couldn't tell ya on the others because I hate both and will have nothing to do with them. Maybe cruise pther forums and look there?

Old 09-27-2013, 02:15 AM
BBartow
Captain

As mentioned above, Plenum and Tranny are the weak points of the 2nd gens. Plenum can be corrected no problem, tranny is another story. As far as I know, this is the 2nd one in my truck, the first being replaced at 197K, but I don't know. I've always loved 90's Fords especially Broncos. You can't go wrong with either Ford or Dodge, both are strong and completely reliable. Dodge does have a bit more power and sounds better in my opinion.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:20 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by Johnn123
First off 360 has 245hp not 230. A 350 only puts out the same hp and 270 tq i believe it was... Plus that junk ifs? Why would you want a truck with that? Each one of them will have there problems you can't expect a vehicle not too... Trans issues and plenums are the main with these trucks. Can't keep gas in em either but what truck can ya? Couldn't tell ya on the others because I hate both and will have nothing to do with them. Maybe cruise pther forums and look there?
Early 360s had 230, I don't remember which year but they got a 15hp boost to be 245.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Purple 92 SS
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this informative, but i dont know if its entirely accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_R..._.28BR.2FBE.29

I personally being a new 2nd gen owner, love my truck.. its fun, and its functional.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
One of those facts is incorrect and the other one needs some explaining.

First one about the axle, Ford had solid front 4wd and 2wd axles, although they did offer IFS as well until the late 90s. So Dodge wasn't the only one with a solid front axle.

Secondly, as far as four door cab goes, it wasn't a full four door cab, and the four door, AKA quad cab was only available starting in 1998. However, for extended cabs Dodge had the roomiest extended cab of anyone. But both Ford and Chevy had genuine full four door crew cabs/super cabs even back in the late 70s.

But it's hard to beat these dodges, they'll run forever.
I was referring to my truck's model year-1999. Only solid axle half ton and only extended cab 4door option. In that era, extended cabs were all the rage. It was the first time pickups were refined enough to use to haul families around. The "3rd" option on other trucks was only the passenger door. Yeah, that would've been useful.

These engines have also been around a looooooong time and have a lot of torque down low. The hemi is much higher peak rpm range and needs to live up there. I will never win a race, but I will be running a lot longer than newer gassers. Love this magnum!

Quick Reply: First truck