2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Will o2 sensor always throw a code should i replace??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 PM
kaliconnect
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will o2 sensor always throw a code should i replace??

Hey all was just wondering if a bad o2 sensor will always throw a code or can they go out without knowing . Just wondering if I should replace them but there's no check engine light on and hook it up to code reader and there's no DTCs just wondering cause having a hell of a time passing smog any help would be great thank you

Old 11-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When an 02 sensor gets old they can get lazy and not read properly or as fast as they should. This wouldn`t necessarily throw a code but it can effect how your truck runs, power and gas mileage.

If your truck has 180.000 miles on it as you said in your other thread and the 02 sensors are original, they really need to be replaced.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:27 AM
kaliconnect
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

absolutely thank you and I agree in gonna get everything up to date ill post how it goes thanks all

Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Mine acted up over 2 years and only threw 2 codes in that time frame. Go with OEM NTK from rockauto.com for the best performance.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram Driver
When an 02 sensor gets old they can get lazy and not read properly or as fast as they should. This wouldn`t necessarily throw a code but it can effect how your truck runs, power and gas mileage.

If your truck has 180.000 miles on it as you said in your other thread and the 02 sensors are original, they really need to be replaced.
This. They degrade in performance over time.

Note that O2 sensors should be replaced approximately every 50-75K miles. If the O2 sensor(s) is/are not functioning properly then the performance of the emissions system is compromised, which can lead to failure of the catalytic converter and other engine related problems. The catalytic converter should outlast the vehicle and never need to be replaced *unless* replacement is warranted due to a manufacturing defect.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:34 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
This. They degrade in performance over time.

Note that O2 sensors should be replaced approximately every 50-75K miles. If the O2 sensor(s) is/are not functioning properly then the performance of the emissions system is compromised, which can lead to failure of the catalytic converter and other engine related problems. The catalytic converter should outlast the vehicle and never need to be replaced *unless* replacement is warranted due to a manufacturing defect.
"Unless".....your plenum is bad and it gets clogged......

Quick Reply: Will o2 sensor always throw a code should i replace??