2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Fixing Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:30 PM
Bubbadrk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing Paint

Any suggestions on fixing up paint? Looking for something fairly easy to do and cost effective since I don't have the tools or experience doing it. I've got two main issues going on. The bumper, and the hood and roof have the same thing goin on.

Attached Thumbnails Fixing Paint-image_zpsc441888b.jpg  
Old 02-18-2014, 11:52 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

duplicolor and spraymax 2k clear,that spray max is an automotive grade clearcote in a can,i did my front bumper with this and it looks like a factory finish..

Old 02-19-2014, 12:25 AM
Bubbadrk

How did you prep it? Sand it down or what? How easy is it to do even coats? I sprayed my tail lights with tint and I couldn't get it completely even for the life of me, you can only really the when the light shines through em though.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 AM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea,the more time you spend on prepping and sanding,the better the result,that bumper doesnt look like it needs a lot,id just rough it with 600 to 800 grit to get all the loose clear off of it and it should be smooth,but,that hood(depending on how deep those scratches are) you may need a little filler in those...or strip it down to bare metal..

Old 02-19-2014, 01:17 AM
Bubbadrk

How would I go about using filler? I don't trust myself taking it down to bare metal. For the bumper when I go to spray the duplicolor should I just do the areas or the whole thing? Also it's an 01 black ram sport so is there a good way to get a color match?

Thanks for the help by the way. First vehicle I've actually purchased so she's my baby and I'm trying to fix everything I can on her myself.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:27 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbadrk
How would I go about using filler? I don't trust myself taking it down to bare metal. For the bumper when I go to spray the duplicolor should I just do the areas or the whole thing? Also it's an 01 black ram sport so is there a good way to get a color match?

Thanks for the help by the way. First vehicle I've actually purchased so she's my baby and I'm trying to fix everything I can on her myself.
You are much better off searching you tube for videos on how to do something as aopposed to reading how to do it. Do a little research and educate yourself. Videos are much easier to understand than someone trying to explain how to do it. I use Imatch paint from NMB Paint sales. They sell dupont paint and a professional quality two-part clearcoat in a rattle can that is absolutely the best stuff you can buy.

Last edited by jkeaton; 02-19-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Bubbadrk

Thanks for the reply. Looking into it more and more I don't think I have the experience to even want to attempt fixing the issue. Seems like I am going to have to sand down the whole bumper and then apply the paint and clear coat. Not sure if I'm comfortable with that. I'm thinking I'll get some quotes from a professional shop.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:15 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

You can always start with a small area, since you're going to go professional anyway. You might find you are a natural.

Quick Reply: Fixing Paint