2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Stepside/Ramside information

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 02:34 AM
spiddips
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, definitely a Ramside like mine. Nice to see another one!

The following users liked this post:
palefebvre (10-04-2020)
Old 10-07-2016, 06:56 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow you learn something NEW every day... never knew dodge made these

Old 10-07-2016, 09:21 AM
djtrump2016
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the 2nd gen rams are all over the place here in east tennessee

Old 10-07-2016, 09:26 AM
djtrump2016
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive read up some on them. they only made 200 of them and they were only sold in texas, only thing i dont like is they put chevy tailgates on them. im gonna get a ram talgate and cut it down to fit. i put the 5 speed in mine. i got sick of going thru automatic transmissions. 3 to be exact

Old 03-02-2018, 06:57 AM
Amy Janes

Where do y’all find this information on the Ramside? I’ve been looking everywhere and can’t find anything on them. I know there were few made, that’s all I can find.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:28 AM
Amy Janes
Default 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 V6 Magnum 2wd automatic with fiberglass Ramside bed

I just bought this truck and no one knows anything about the Ramside bed on it. I’ve looked everywhere. I know there were few made, but I’d like to know more about them, too. Here is the one I bought. https://goo.gl/images/XV24jH
https://goo.gl/images/yAejX3
https://goo.gl/images/W8U5fW
https://goo.gl/images/emcjKG
These pics are from the dealership I bought it at in Tipton Co. TN. I have had it a few weeks. Some idiot wrote sport on the back sides in sharpie. I got it off. Looks great now with new tires and all. I’m fixing her up.

Last edited by Amy Janes; 03-02-2018 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Change of words
Old 08-27-2019, 05:33 PM
Sandal WoodCG
Default I've got a 96 with the ramside.never cared for the tailgate.Gunna cut up a dodge one

96 ramside.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:29 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandal WoodCG

96 ramside.
What's the tailgate look like?

Old 10-04-2020, 09:08 AM
palefebvre
Default ISO Ramside bed for Dodge Dakota

Originally Posted by spiddips
After a recent Ram-related search turned up a picture of my truck that wontacceptthis posted here about 4 years ago, I decided to join DF (long past due I guess!) and post some info for informational purposes, based on the comments and unanswered questions I have seen posted about these trucks.

I have a 1996 Ram 1500 SLT Laramie Club Cab 4x4 with a Ramside bed (Stepside-style), which I bought new & currently has over 179,000 miles on it. Some members have thought that these are GM Stepside bed units, but in my case it is not. My warranty certificate says the bed was made by Special Edition, Inc., and I have seen several other sources listed by posters for Ramside units they have seen (which could have been DBA names for the same company). Mine had no external identification like decals or badges for Ramside or the manufacturer. This is a well built and finished fiberglass bed, complete with square tubing glassed in for reinforcement. These are the only GM parts on it:
  • Stepside tailgate, hinges, and cables
  • Stepside step pads
It was apparently molded off the Ram dually fenders above the body crease, but otherwise follows the body contours & uses Mopar taillights, trim, inner fender liners, and fuel filler.

The truck is mostly stock, but I have installed a modified Rugged Liner Stepside bedliner, Smittybilt nerf bars, diamond plate rocker moldings, Mopar cab clearance lights, GTS headlight/taillight covers, billet fuel filler door, and Reunel rear bumper.

I know this bed isn't for everyone, as I have seen various comments on DF describing the Stepside/Ramside style bed as ugly or impractical, but it got my attention as something really unique, and it has worked fine as a pickup for my needs.
I think this is the coolest looking type bed out there I’ve never seen one in person. So has anybody ever heard of a ram side style bed for a dodge Dakota

Quick Reply: Stepside/Ramside information