2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

U-Joint Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:11 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Ya know, fire dance, fairy dust, and blinker fluid. Most of my "problem" parts have been installed at shops. Imagine that. So who knows how everything went. I've had shops correct another shop's mistake, only to make new ones down the road on something else. Knock on wood, my current set of ujoints have passed the 4 year mark...

Old 08-09-2016, 07:43 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
What did they leave out?
Practically everything. I've never seen a factory service manual, or a Chilton's, Haynes, whatever, that addressed how to properly service a U-joint. I read about it in a Motor manual way back when -- at least, I believe it was a Motor. I can visualize the drawings and the flow of the paragraphs around them, but it was long time ago so I'm not certain which book it was in.

There's a dude on youtube with a series of videos about U-joints, if you're interested in the things. He gets into the kinds of things the manuals never even hint at. And all kinds of other stuff you might not find so interesting.

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 08-09-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Practically everything. I've never seen a factory service manual, or a Chilton's, Haynes, whatever, that addressed how to properly service a U-joint. I read about it in a Motor manual way back when -- at least, I believe it was a Motor. I can visualize the drawings and the flow of the paragraphs around them, but it was long time ago so I'm not certain which book it was in.

There's a dude on youtube with a series of videos about U-joints, if you're interested in the things. He gets into the kinds of things the manuals never even hint at. And all kinds of other stuff you might not find so interesting.

Link? Keyword? Name? I'm always interested in learning.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:01 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Link? Keyword? Name? I'm always interested in learning.
Apparently vBulletin's magic goes mental if you link to something at youtube that's not a video. PHP koderz... Here's the playlist, if it works:

I haven't searched online for U-joint related stuff (because it's all commonsense stuff that'll stick with ya until your brain rots once you know it) so I don't know if that's the best reference there is, but YouTube kept recommending it to me so I watched it and he does cover the important stuff. And make ya wish for an arbor press if ya ain't got one.

Not that a ball joint press and adapter won't do the job just as well, but arbor presses are way cooler.

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 08-10-2016 at 10:07 PM. Reason: vBulletin sucks, but not well.

Quick Reply: U-Joint Swap