2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Audio install?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:03 AM
evilemokid94
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio install?

I'm looking at some help on the best route to run my power wire for my amp that will be under the rear seat in my 99 quad cab. Also what's the best under seat box for two 12"?

Old 10-04-2016, 11:26 AM
schmidtp
Veteran

I drilled a hole near the steering column in the firewall then ran the power cable through a grommet. From there I ran it under the molding at the door jam and then behind the rear panel.

Not sure on best brand. Try ebay and craigslist first as you might be able to find a good deal on a used one.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:56 PM
jsmith1969
Professional

I drilled a hole and used a grommet for my amp too. Don't remember seeing an underseat box with dual 12" for the 2nd gen, there's a few different dual 10" though

Old 10-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

I just pushed my power wire through a grommet that was already in my firewall

Ran it down under the carpet right next to the plastic piece that runs the length of the door opening.

Side question for everyone: I currently have one 12" sub under my back seat. I want to get a second one.
Do you guys think I could pick up one of the dual 10" boxes for our trucks and make the holes bigger to accommodate two 12"s?

I've been toying with this idea for a while just wanted to hear some thoughts on it

Old 10-06-2016, 12:23 AM
evilemokid94
Professional

Originally Posted by Nate_rs
I just pushed my power wire through a grommet that was already in my firewall

Ran it down under the carpet right next to the plastic piece that runs the length of the door opening.

Side question for everyone: I currently have one 12" sub under my back seat. I want to get a second one.
Do you guys think I could pick up one of the dual 10" boxes for our trucks and make the holes bigger to accommodate two 12"s?

I've been toying with this idea for a while just wanted to hear some thoughts on it
was the firewall grommet factory? If so which side was it on? If I can't find an under seat box for my 12s it won't matter to me much. Iv already got them in a box bit I will have to set them on the seat or set my rear set up to use them. If I need my back seat I'll just take them out and toss them under my tonnoue

Old 10-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Originally Posted by evilemokid94
was the firewall grommet factory? If so which side was it on? If I can't find an under seat box for my 12s it won't matter to me much. Iv already got them in a box bit I will have to set them on the seat or set my rear set up to use them. If I need my back seat I'll just take them out and toss them under my tonnoue
Honestly not sure if it's factory or not. It looks factory and I have thought it was since I bought the truck in 2013.

It's on the driver's side above the big white connector with all of the wires.

I can get a picture up tomorrow

Old 10-07-2016, 10:02 AM
evilemokid94
Professional

Originally Posted by Nate_rs
Honestly not sure if it's factory or not. It looks factory and I have thought it was since I bought the truck in 2013.

It's on the driver's side above the big white connector with all of the wires.

I can get a picture up tomorrow
thank you! I'm in the process of ordering all my wiring for the system and new door speakers and a head unit. I want everything here before I start

Old 10-07-2016, 10:37 AM
schmidtp
Veteran

I got Pioneer head unit off Amazon for about $90. It works great and has sub control, iPod/iPhone, and bluetooth. Crazy I remember the days when the best head units would cost almost $600 with none of that!

Old 10-07-2016, 11:21 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Yeah, but apparently the crackheads don't know that. I had $2700 worth of damage inflicted on my truck to steal a $100 kenwood unit and a couple speakers I had in the rear. You still need to remove the face, have a good alarm, leave your pitbull in the truck at night, etc. Sucks. Or just use the factory stuff like I do and actually get some sleep.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:05 PM
evilemokid94
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Yeah, but apparently the crackheads don't know that. I had $2700 worth of damage inflicted on my truck to steal a $100 kenwood unit and a couple speakers I had in the rear. You still need to remove the face, have a good alarm, leave your pitbull in the truck at night, etc. Sucks. Or just use the factory stuff like I do and actually get some sleep.
great thing about living in a small town I suppose lol. Doesn't really happen around here as the town's small enough that most people know one another. And if it were to happen iv got it covered from inside aswell as three dogs downstairs . Between my full size 65 pound boxer and my 85 pound German Shepard I don't have much to worry about at night

Quick Reply: Audio install?