2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tool storage

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 10:35 AM
02/01Ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tool storage

As a Carpenter I need to carry lots of tools. I've had PUs with boxes in the back but I like having an empty bed. I have an 01 extended cab. I'd like to remove the back bench seat and build some sort of tool storage rack back there. I've got an idea of what I want.
I was wondering if any one might have any pics of what they did so I could exercise the gray matter with ideas. Thanks

Old 02-20-2017, 11:38 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

haven't seen much for in cab storage but these bed storage system still leave the box usable.
they do have single sliders that would be narrow enough to fit in a cab.
check out this site
https://www.pickupspecialties.com/tr...e_drawers.html

Last edited by primem; 02-20-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:17 PM
02/01Ram
Rookie

Originally Posted by primem
haven't seen much for in cab storage but these bed storage system still leave the box usable.
they do have single sliders that would be narrow enough to fit in a cab.
check out this site
https://www.pickupspecialties.com/tr...e_drawers.html
Lots of nice stuff at that site. I especially like the draw idea, I'll give that a closer look. It would be perfect as a base to hold all the small stuff, one on each side. It would also give me a nice flat surface to build storage for the tool boxes/cases on top of it.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:37 PM
MrGman
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a carpenter myself, not a chance in h$ll I could get all the tools I carry in the back of my club cab. I've got a large (24"x24"x width of box) lockbox in the back of my longbox that is packed full, and the backseat is packed up to the window just to get all the tools I need to carry into the truck, lol

Old 02-20-2017, 10:41 PM
02/01Ram
Rookie

I know what you mean about the tools,it's amazing what you end up with over the years. I'm not looking to carry everything just what I need for what I'm doing.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:23 PM
02/01Ram
Rookie

Today I took the rear seat out. So far I've built a flat floor from the back panel/wall to the back of the front seats. The seats still have their full travel You just can't recline past the point that anyone could possibly drive the truck anyway. I mounted the plywood floor to the same spot that the seat is bolted to. You end up with a nice spot for bags under it where your feet would go if sitting in the seat, first thing stuffed in was the jack and its tools. I'll probably customize the drivers side to hold the boxes and hand tools I always carry, then cover it with carpet or some sort of anti slide/rattle stuff.
Next on the junk yard list is one of those retractable cargo covers you see in the suv's and vans. Out of sight out of mind.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:22 PM
MrGman
Rookie

Yea, I can't get away with carrying just what I need that day unfortunately. I'm a reno and deficiency guy for a contractor so I never know what I'm gonna need as I might be dealing with 5-6 sites a day. Bad part is that even with the truck crammed full, half the time it seems like I need the one thing that actually isn't in the truck, lol.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:40 PM
02/01Ram
Rookie

Yea I gotchya. you need a big a$$ van. As for the tool you need as soon as that happens to me my minds eye shows me exactly where it is.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:43 AM
MrGman
Rookie

Yea, I hate vans though. I much prefer my clubcab/ longbox with a lumber rack on top.. carry around 10k worth of tools with me daily crammed into wherever I can get it.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:24 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

i had a 16' enclosed trailer that i picked up for $3000...It fit everything.

Should of been an electrician; all their tools fit on their toolbelt.