2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Rear lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 01:52 AM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ramman18
See? The internet still says that yet in all my years I've never heard of or read a single incident where a block broke, dislodged, or otherwise caused any issue. So do whatever makes you happy OP!
look up my first thread... you can see all the straps, c-clamp and crap the guy wrapped around the block and ubolts, because he spit a block out going down the road. he fixed it, but was worried it would happen again. anything beyond the stock block size is dangerous and even that was a **** poor substitute for proper springs. think of a block as a prybar... how big of a prybar do you want trying to rip apart your rear suspension while driving?

granted in my case they were 6" blocks, 35's and a welded diff on dry pavement... bit extreme, but it can and does happen. i thought it was an old wives tale too, till i got this truck. i could feel everything trying to rip apart turning the thing before i fixed it.
the u-bolts were plenty tight... nice BANG when i cut them off.

Last edited by brian102; 01-22-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:25 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Kinda like the axioms "never re-use u-bolts" and "all plenums leak"? Yeah, not in my world. The only absolute is there are no absolutes. But I'm glad you feel safe now.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:01 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Yeah, it's really been an "urban legend" on the interwebs. I'm sure it CAN happen, just not when stacking a 1-2" block on what we already have on our wimpy trucks. Axle wrap? With the weak Magnum engines? That'd be the day.
These "weak" engines cause a pretty good but if axle wrap. Look up ram technologies on YouTube. He has a video on a 2nd gen 2500 360 and you can clearly see the axle wrap

Old 01-24-2018, 11:46 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

My daughter's boyfriend bought a 2500 with stacked blocks. They were loose and he tightened them before they came out. He finally put a shackle flip kit from DIY 4x4 in it with a single block. That's what I would suggest you do. Tall blocks whether single or stacked act like a breaker bar on the springs and u-bolts. It can cause wheel hop and vibration as the axle can move front to rear twisting the springs and u-bolts.U-bolts can stretch causing the blocks to pop out. 2-3 inch blocks are normal, staying 4 inch and under is recommended. I'm in the never ever stack blocks camp. It's stupid and dangerous.

Quick Reply: Rear lift