2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Steering wheel clicking

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 05:27 PM
Zday
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel clicking

My 99 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9 has developed an occasional clicking noise when turning the steering wheel. It was intermediate at first but through out the day (was in town when it started) it got progressively more frequent as I made my way home. When it occurs, it is a constant click and is triggered after maybe a 10 degree change in steering wheel orientation. They sound will occur whether in motion or in park. Fluid levels are normal and no outward signs of damage along the steering column or drive line. I can slightly feel the clicks in the steering wheel. Turning ability, function, ease, etc. has not been noticeably different when experiencing the event. I could use some direction to try and zero in on the cause. I have some mechanical aptitude but not enough to start disassembling things and working my way to the issue root. Any insight would be appreciated so I may have at least a good starting point. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2018, 06:08 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

It's the bushing in the spring housing at the firewall. This has gotten called a "clunk" by some and there's a "fix" for it. Some have success, others not as it can ruin your return and steering feel. I haven't found a way to even access the column that far up under the booster but apparently you can. Mine has clicked off and on for years and years. Don't even hear it anymore.

Here's the fix:
http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

Old 02-27-2018, 06:33 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

That's the link to fix the clunk, I have the same thing with mine and the noise if definitely coming from the steering wheel. I think it may be a broken clock spring but i haven't taken the wheel off to investigate it.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel clicking