2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Cow pasture phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Klikmaus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cow pasture phoenix

Last year, I was asked by a friend how much I would charge to remove an old 97 5.2 Magnum Ram off her property. It belonged to her late husband, was parked and practically forgotten over ten years ago over what turned out to be a minor electrical problem. One look at the odometer is all it took to realize there was far more potential in this old farm truck than scrapping and parting out... it had under 99k miles on it. I hauled off the truck for no charge & helped her for several days with clearing off the property so it could be put up on the market.

Now about the truck...

97 Ram Laramie SLT, under 100k miles, and until the brake light switch at the pedal broke was meticulously taken care of. 10 years sitting in a field brought on many issues it's self: rodent damage, gasket & hose rot, dents from cows bumping up into it, fluids brakedown... It took 2 months to get it to turn over for the first time and another three months to get it to today.
Outside of fluids and filters being replaced, I've replaced the water pump, catalytic converter, muffler, both o2 sensors, speed output sensor, throttle position sensor, tires, ignition key switch (original key had been lost years ago), and the stock radio as the tape deck was stuck trying to eject and NEVER stopped buzzing.

I've put about 5k miles on this ol goat since getting it running & fixing issues as they pop up... Is there anything I should keep an eye out for or do as preventive maintenance now it's at the 100k mileage?

Old 08-07-2018, 12:32 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Klikmaus
Last year, I was asked by a friend how much I would charge to remove an old 97 5.2 Magnum Ram off her property. It belonged to her late husband, was parked and practically forgotten over ten years ago over what turned out to be a minor electrical problem. One look at the odometer is all it took to realize there was far more potential in this old farm truck than scrapping and parting out... it had under 99k miles on it. I hauled off the truck for no charge & helped her for several days with clearing off the property so it could be put up on the market.

Now about the truck...

97 Ram Laramie SLT, under 100k miles, and until the brake light switch at the pedal broke was meticulously taken care of. 10 years sitting in a field brought on many issues it's self: rodent damage, gasket & hose rot, dents from cows bumping up into it, fluids brakedown... It took 2 months to get it to turn over for the first time and another three months to get it to today.
Outside of fluids and filters being replaced, I've replaced the water pump, catalytic converter, muffler, both o2 sensors, speed output sensor, throttle position sensor, tires, ignition key switch (original key had been lost years ago), and the stock radio as the tape deck was stuck trying to eject and NEVER stopped buzzing.

I've put about 5k miles on this ol goat since getting it running & fixing issues as they pop up... Is there anything I should keep an eye out for or do as preventive maintenance now it's at the 100k mileage?
Plenum Gasket and snap ring in transfer case. Also on sensors our trucks hate aftermarket sensors, we all here recommend Mopar sensors for certain things.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Klikmaus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Plenum Gasket and snap ring in transfer case. Also on sensors our trucks hate aftermarket sensors, we all here recommend Mopar sensors for certain things.
well its a 2wd so there's no transfer case to replace snap rings on.

plenum gasket... I'll look into that over the next couple months. Took care of the last OBD2 code this morning which was the speed outputs sensor.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:12 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Take a look at the brake line next to gas tank, They like to rot out and burst when you go to stop.

Quick Reply: Cow pasture phoenix