2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Steering gearbox and steering shaft not aligning

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 09:36 PM
Broc Cassy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering gearbox and steering shaft not aligning

I have a 98 dodge 1500 5.2L 2wd and I decided to change the leaky power steering gearbox, in the middle of taking out the old one I had too attend to an emergency and left it dangling only connected to the shaft( my dumb mistake). The truck needed too be moved when I got back and I didnt have enough time too completely change it out so I tried putting the three bolts back in and it wouldn't align back up with the holes as if the shaft got longer so i just unbolted it from the shaft just so I could move the truck. Also i didnt tie up the steering wheel so when I moved it the steering wheel spun around a couple times. A day later I got around to putting the new one back on so I first tried attaching it to the shaft first but still had the same problem of the holes not aligning back up, then tried attaching it up too the frame first then trying too attach the shaft together second and the shaft isnt even close to sliding back on like I said it seems too be too long as shown in the picture. So any ideas what's going on? Keep in mind it never made any noise or had any problems before I took it apart.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Broc Cassy
I have a 98 dodge 1500 5.2L 2wd and I decided to change the leaky power steering gearbox, in the middle of taking out the old one I had too attend to an emergency and left it dangling only connected to the shaft( my dumb mistake). The truck needed too be moved when I got back and I didnt have enough time too completely change it out so I tried putting the three bolts back in and it wouldn't align back up with the holes as if the shaft got longer so i just unbolted it from the shaft just so I could move the truck. Also i didnt tie up the steering wheel so when I moved it the steering wheel spun around a couple times. A day later I got around to putting the new one back on so I first tried attaching it to the shaft first but still had the same problem of the holes not aligning back up, then tried attaching it up too the frame first then trying too attach the shaft together second and the shaft isnt even close to sliding back on like I said it seems too be too long as shown in the picture. So any ideas what's going on? Keep in mind it never made any noise or had any problems before I took it apart.
Should be able to push it back, it does extend (like the front driveshaft). Also depending on how many times the wheel turned you may have ruined the clock spring

Old 07-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Broc Cassy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already figured the clockspring was ruined but that wouldn't cause this too not go back together normally would it?

Old 07-10-2019, 10:03 AM
Hero6
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The steering shaft extends and retracts. Just push it back up towards the steering column to give you room to attach to the steering box, once on the splines, pull down tight and install your bolt.

Quick Reply: Steering gearbox and steering shaft not aligning