2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Is this truck worth fixing????

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 10:39 AM
DodgeRam2500V10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is this truck worth fixing????

We have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT. 4x4 It has the 8.0 liter v-10 auto trans in it little to know rust throughout the entire truck. Truck has 165,000 original miles. I bought it around a year and a half ago used it as my daily driver up until 2 month ago witch I choose to let it sit. Within the first 3 weeks of ownership we went through and replaced multiple things. New Brake controller (had one previously), New track bar, New tires, Mufflers, Steal brake lines (rear), Thermostat, radiator, rear rubber brake lines, had the truck undercoated to prevent rust. It was trusty for the longest time! Now we fear we may need to install a heater core, fix the power steering box (its leaking) valve cover gasket leaking on passenger side, battery keeps dying (its brand new), brake line busted over passenger side tire and a bolt broke off in the caliper. (not sure when this happened). We don't off-road our vehicles. Do I fix it?? are these trucks worth the fix??

Old 12-03-2019, 11:52 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeRam2500V10
We have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT. 4x4 It has the 8.0 liter v-10 auto trans in it little to know rust throughout the entire truck. Truck has 165,000 original miles. I bought it around a year and a half ago used it as my daily driver up until 2 month ago witch I choose to let it sit. Within the first 3 weeks of ownership we went through and replaced multiple things. New Brake controller (had one previously), New track bar, New tires, Mufflers, Steal brake lines (rear), Thermostat, radiator, rear rubber brake lines, had the truck undercoated to prevent rust. It was trusty for the longest time! Now we fear we may need to install a heater core, fix the power steering box (its leaking) valve cover gasket leaking on passenger side, battery keeps dying (its brand new), brake line busted over passenger side tire and a bolt broke off in the caliper. (not sure when this happened). We don't off-road our vehicles. Do I fix it?? are these trucks worth the fix??

Is the truck paid for? How much would repairs run compared to car payments? The heater core is a booger. A really runny one too. Other than that, most of the repairs look to be just routine repairs from age and use. I'm not a fan of the V-10 as it's pretty thirsty. However, the truck is rust free so that makes it a good base and the mechanicals are just add ons.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (12-04-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Ah, the eternal question. Vehicles are NEVER worth fixing. They are holes in the road into which we all pour money. Having said that, only YOU can determine what your income v expenses are and what is "worth" spending on any vehicle.

Now, all you've listed are regular Dodge issues being 20 plus years old and high mileage. And being a tough 2500 with a solid platform and drivetrain, simple to repair, relatively cheap, and able to run another 200k, then you are not being FOOLISH by repairing it, which is the validation I believe you are seeking. If I'm being honest, I have spent more than the purchase price repairing my truck in the 18.5 years and 240k I've owned it. Why? I love it and I want to keep it. So the true question is, what do you want?

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

How much would repairs run compared to car payments?
Car payments would be for a "new" (if kept in the dodge family) ram truck. In my book the looks of the "new" trucks can't come close to the second gens. Payments for an ugly truck but it's new, No thanks! That's why i have two second gens! I'm sure in the near future you will be seeing less and less second gens around so keep them on the road!

Old 12-03-2019, 08:57 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Moparite is RIGHT!

Old 12-03-2019, 09:04 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on your love for the truck. I bought a 91 D150 for $500......................2 years and $7,500 later I'm driving it............ It might be more actually I lost track. But $7,500 it's what I got in the motor and trans. Plus all the small stuff so it's prolly closer to $9,000. But it's not nearly stock, crazy, stupid, possibly.......... But it's not my opinion, and I don't care what others think, my money, my truck. If somebody has a problem with how I spend my time, and money then they are welcome to pay my bills. It's all what you think, if the frame is in good shape, body decent I'd fix it. I got an 05 with 83,000 miles, both rocker panels, and driver cab corner are rotted, and the bed........... It needs one. But because of the low miles I'm gonna fix it. I'm also gonna do the frame while the box is off.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:17 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're doing the work yourself, I would say its easily worth it. I would have a hard time paying someone to do my heater core or replace the valve cover gaskets. I don't feel the need to be paid for my own time on my own truck. Im always adding money into the truck to make it better when I have the money, and if I don't have money for a while, then I don't have to make my truck "payment"".

Also on the leaking valve cover gasket, did you try tightening the bolts you can easily get to? They do back out over time and a retighting can buy you some time.

Quick Reply: Is this truck worth fixing????