2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Center seat cupholder alternative

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 11:45 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Center seat cupholder alternative

I know there are a million cupholder posts but wanted to archive an alternative approach to add better ones. Though I have reinforced my dash and fiber glassed the OEM holder in my 97, it is still miserable for heavy cups / travel mugs. I am aware of the Geno's garage type that fasten to the center console armrest however don't care for how they look or fit, also become useless if you want to flip the console up. More $$ than I am willing to spend for a cupholder.

While yard hunting I saw GM Silverado's / Sierra's and Avalanches (I believe 01-06...) have a bench seat mounted unit which looked like it would match our trucks decently. The unit is riveted to the center seat frame, so you will need to either drill them out or cut it out of a truck with a sawzall. I paid $5.

I took out my center seat and rear cupholder bracket from the truck and made a bracket to mount it up. Note this needs to be relatively thick steel or else it will bend under load being so far in front of the mount. I had some spare 3/32" which worked good.

Painted everything and mounted, also painted the cupholder plastic a more appropriate grey.

Back in the truck:

It does clear the 4x4 lever in 4-low.

I didn't quite realize how useful a good cupholder is till I did this. It securely holds heavy 1L+ water bottles, large travel mugs, phones (side slot is useful), random small junk from the store, etc. No more holding drinks while driving

Old 05-09-2024, 05:48 PM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

That...
is actually pretty nice. The problem with the '94-'97? early GenII holders is not just that they don't hold cups well, but they are so far above the roll center of the truck, that running something over as insignificant as a chubby first grade CubScout is enough to get the McSoda you got with your HappyMeal fully airborne into the passenger door.
Although pretty far down the list from puny a** oil filters, push fit trans cooler lines for the 47RH that blow off, under-engineered/sized front steering/brakes, headlight switches that overheat, those cupholders were a definite oversight.
However, remember what a radical design departure the GenII was from trucks that came before. I have both an '85 W350 and '95 2500. No comparison. Some pain should be expected.
Well done.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:27 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll have to look for pictures, I had a cupholder jump seat from a 4th gen dodge in my 2nd gen

Old 05-10-2024, 06:40 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

I modified a aftermarket center floor console to fit my 90. I started to make one for my second gen when i first got it but never finished it. Only time i drink is when i'm eating and i'm parked for that so no real need for it.

Quick Reply: Center seat cupholder alternative