2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight out

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:25 PM
ray97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight out

Question for everyone. My drivers side headlight wentout last night butthen when I tapped on the headlight cover it comes back on. Same thing this morning also. What could cause this, bulb going out, needs to pulled out and cleaned or my worse fear a short in the wiring somewhere?I will plan on going to get some new bulbs today (silverstars) and see if that doesthe trick. What do you think???
Thanks

Old 03-30-2007, 02:29 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Headlight out

Old repair trick ... when a bulb burns out, it's because the filament has broken. Smacking the lens causes the filament ends to shake around and, since one of them has voltage on it and the other one ground, the ends will sometimes weld themselves back together (for a while).

Or you might just have a loose or corroded bulb socket and smacking it causes it to get a better connection for a while. Pull the bulb and inspect it ... or just replace them all like you said.

A short in the headlight circuit will SMOKE the headlight switch or some wires.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:34 PM
ray97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Headlight out

Thanks for the info about the short part. I will replace them today.

Quick Reply: Headlight out