2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

is it a wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 PM
a1driver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it a wheel bearing?

while driving to work today i heard what sounded like a loud whining noise coming from the front of my truck, it lasted about 5 seconds. heard it again briefly while turning sharp left into the parking lot and also on the way home. i jacked the front up and the bearings feel tight but the drivers side sounds very dry( i suspect this could be where the noise came from)when i spin it. i do alot of towing and need to fix whatever it is.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 PM
cdusthockey
Veteran
Default RE: is it a wheel bearing?

could be the problem, when mine went bad it had more of a grinding noise than a whining noise

Old 05-01-2007, 03:21 PM
VTBoater
Default RE: is it a wheel bearing?

Mine also made a constant grinding noise, it gets quieter if you turn sharply one way or the other, depending on the side that is bad. Lift up the front end, remove the tires and brake calipers and pads, then put the tires back on with a couple lugs, and spin. If there is a bad bearing you will hear it for sure, and may even feel resistance. With the brakes still on it is hard to tell. You could also be hearing brake noise, ujoints, etc... Best to make sure what the problem is before deciding whether to do it yourself or not.

Quick Reply: is it a wheel bearing?