2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oem fog light wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:49 AM
slammer55616
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oem fog light wiring

I just bought a 1997 Ram 1500 EC and have added wheels, nerfs, bed rails.. that kind of stuff but the truck didnt have the factory fog lights on it. I want the lights. I dont like after market switches and wires and stuff.
I did a search and didnt find my answer so... my question is... if I wanted to install factory fog lights and use a factory switch (side by side with the O/D).. is the wiring harness in their so all I have to do is plug it in? same goes for the light end.. is the wiring down there so all I have to do is plug the light into the harness.

thanks for the help

Old 05-11-2007, 10:14 AM
slammer55616
Default RE: oem fog light wiring

nobody?

Old 05-11-2007, 11:24 AM
2001mustang_gt
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 97 has a plug in on the light end but i never noticed one up on the inside

Old 05-11-2007, 01:25 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

No ! the wiring harness is not there cause im getting ready to do the same thing..Its odd i have the wiring under the front frame for the fog lights but nothing in the dash ...Ebay or your local junk yard can help you out...

Old 05-11-2007, 03:49 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

My 01 did not come with the factory fog lamps.Based upon reading the schematic a different headlight switch is required that connects to a relay under the hood. This relay then feeds power to the factory fog lights. My truck has none of the parts needed for the factory lights.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:04 AM
slammer55616

Thanks guys. I went ahead and bought the factory lights, with the brackets, because I think they fill the holes the best. Now, I basically have no idea how to wire them in. Has anybody done this and can give me step by step instructions (I'm good at following step by step instructions). Do I need a relay? Will I have to get a "plug in" for the back of a factory switch. They cost $50 and I dont want to waste the money if I cant use it.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:25 AM
lv360ram
Captain

I'm glad I didn't have the factory lights, sometimes less is better. Return the lights and use those holes for a ram air setup!

Old 06-05-2007, 12:59 AM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: lv360ram

I'm glad I didn't have the factory lights, sometimes less is better. Return the lights and use those holes for a ram air setup!
ROFL
ODD, but right as rain you are! I did'nt have 'em on mine either but added yellow fog lights instead. Lots o' things 'll fit in those holes. Any after market stuff 'll do the job. Wiring isn't hard either, but yes, you should ALWAYS use a relay.
WC

Old 06-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Joedodge63
Rookie

I was reading your post and thought you could use this link. It has a great diagram forfog light wiring with a relay. My 96 Ram has had fog lights added with use of a factory switch. The only problem with this is they do not interact with the head lights as most states require by law. Fog Light Wiring with Bosch Relay If you want them to go off when high beams are turned on, then try this link. It has a diagram and full written instructions on how to wire them that way. Good luck!
How To Wire Fog And Driving Lights Harness Wiring Diagram [/align]Let me know if these links don't work.[/align]

Old 06-15-2007, 10:29 AM
slammer55616

I got my factory fogs in the mail. They came with bulbs. I noticed during a search on various sites, that somepeople had the factory harness down by the lights but nothing behind the dash. My question is, if that is the case on my truck, can I cut off the light plug and then wire it up separately? I think I need those light plug ins to make a nice fit. If I cant cut them off, or dont have them, where can I get the light plug in?

BTW, thanks Joe for the diagram, that will make it a ton easier. I dont really care about the lights going off withthe brights on. I have been a MN cop for 22 years and dont beleive that MN has that law. All we have is that no more than 4 lights can be illuminated to the front of the vehicle at one time. Besides, outside of the State Patrol, we dont have time to worry about such petty things as fog lights being on with high beams on.

thanks

Quick Reply: oem fog light wiring