2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Nerf bar reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:48 PM
cvec7
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nerf bar reccomendations

I've currently got nerf bars on my truck, however they are rusted to hell and one is bent up. So I'm looking to replace them. But I'm not sure which to get... The ones I have on there now annoy me because they are too close to the body. So when you step on them, your toe usually hits the rocker panel... I can't remember the brand right now, but they're not that big of a brand from what I remember.
I've also gathered to go with stainless bars as opposed to painted or chrome... Especially since I don't have mud-flaps, 6 months of the year here, there's snow on the ground... then for two months after, there's gravel everywhere, then all 'summer' they're doing roadwork... All of which I know would tear up chrome or painted bars...

So, for those of you who have nerf bars where your feet don't hit the body...what kind do you have?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:34 AM
mopar crazy
Professional
Default RE: Nerf bar reccomendations

I purchased my nerf bars from Autozone and they are the Westin brand and are the stainless steel kind. To me, Westin is the only way to go but thats just my choice of brand.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:46 AM
dodgeram98

I've also got Westin's on my 98 4X4. They've been great.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:59 AM
cvec7
Professional

I just ran across these in my off-road adventures mag from 4-wheel parts: http://www.n-fab.com/products.nerfsteps.asp anyone have those on their rig? Those seem to be exactly what I'm looking for...

Old 05-11-2007, 01:04 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also got Westins. About everyone I know with them has Westins. One thing I've noticed is the plastic piece you step on seems to come loose after a lot of use. My drivers side one will move around a little and a friend had one fall completely off. I've been in several truck where they have been loose but overall I like them.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

westin platinum series

Old 05-11-2007, 02:13 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mine are Nasta brand polished stainless, not chrome. very nice, about $230 or so for reg cab here.
http://www.svcustoms.com/catalog/nas...nerfbars.shtml

Old 05-13-2007, 04:04 AM
cvec7
Professional

Question on installing the nerf bars... Is this something I can do myself?
I ask because I looked at where my current "Luverne" bars are bolted to, and they're bolted to one of the bolts that bolts the cab down to the frame. So will I be able to do this with just hand tools? And is it safe to do so? I don't want my cab flying off one day, LOL.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:42 PM
mopar crazy
Professional

Yes, you can do the work yourself.....it's very easy and straight forward. It's been a couple years since I installed mine on my truck but off the top of my head I believe mine were also using the body bolts. The only recommendation I have is that if you have a impactgun be prepared to use it to easy the pain. With my Westin's they have pre-drilled holes in the nerf tubes for the support brackets which get mounted to the frame. Those holes on mine were so undersized I could barely get the bolt started by hand. I grabbed my impactgun and used it slowly to get the bolt started.

Other than that, easy installation. If your worried about the cab flying off, just re-check the boilts after a few months and re-tighten if neccassary.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:45 PM
cvec7
Professional

Hey thanks, in that case, I'll probably take off my old ones today then! They're bent up and rusted to hell, lol. I just took off that big canopy off the bed yesterday, and man does it look better...

before:

after:

Quick Reply: Nerf bar reccomendations