2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar Performance Computer - Where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Snafu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar Performance Computer - Where to buy?

Well, I just got my Ram fired up for the first time after converting from an auto trans to a manual. Motor runs like HELL so it looks like I might need a new ECU for the manual trans. If I do need one, I might as well go with the performance computer. Anyone know of anyplace to get them at a decent price? I'm already a few hundred dollars overbudget on this project. Thanks.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Snafu
Default RE: Mopar Performance Computer - Where to buy?

Come on, some of you guys must know someplace to get these at a decent price...

Old 09-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it's not an ECU it's a PCM...

Have you checked eBay? The dealership is pricey, but I can get you a discount... they always have them.

~Amanda

Old 09-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Snafu

Yah yah yah, just depends who you talk to as to what it's called.

I've been checking Ebay daily, haven't found anything. I found a Mopar performance parts wholesaler yesterday that listed them up to '95 or '96, but not for my '97. And I stopped by my local dealer last night and the shop manager was an ***, wouldn't even look it up cause it's not for a stock application since I did the trans swap myself. Just getting kinda frustrated cause I don't know if it's the flywheel or the PCM that's wrong, and I'm having a hard time finding out.

If you don't mind getting me a quote with your discount, here's my application-

1997 Ram 2500
5.9L Magnum V8
Manual Transmission
4x4
Heavy Duty (no emissions)

If I do need to replace the PCM and you get a good enough deal, I may make a road trip over to pick it up. And I'll owe you lunch. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 09-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mopar doesn't make a performance computer for the 97 4x4 Manual for whatever reason. They do for 96 and 98, but not 97. And they aren't interchangable... so that's a no go through Mopar.

The stock computer that fits a 97 manual 4x4 is $296.25 (25% off - I have to give you a "code" to get this, or I can just get it for you I'm sure) + $75 core (refundable when you turn in your old PCM).

Your current PCM "talks" to the trans and it together regulates the engine RPM's... Since you have an automatic programmed PCM and now a manual trans, the PCM is "talking" to something that no longer listening. They aren't jivving anymore... LOL!

I asked the drivetrain mechanic and he said to first change the flywheel with tone ring... that's where the crank or cam sensor gets it's reading at... it's cheaper and might help the engine settle down.

Phew... there.. lots of info... hope I helped some.

~Amanda

Old 09-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Snafu

Yah, that's what I was afraid of with the performance PCM... That price does help a lot, at least I know how much it's probably going to cost me.

As far as the tone ring on the Flywheel goes, I believe the pattern was machined into the cast flywheel which would mean the whole flywheel would have to be replaced. I know the pattern for the crank position sensor is different between the automatic flex plate and the manual flywheel, what I don't know is if the pattern I have is correct, and nobody I've contacted can tell me what the correct pattern is. I think that the pattern is different from the manual to the auto and they compensate for it in the programming of the different PCM's. I know the injectors are currently firing out of sequence with the rotation of the motor, which would back up this theory since the auto trans computer is looking for the auto trans pattern, and is now seeing the different manual trans pattern. Confused yet? I think I am...

If it's not too big of a problem, could you see if your drivetrain mechanic knows what the tone pattern is supposed to be on the manual flywheel for my application? Here's a drawing of the pattern that's on my flywheel-

I thank you immensly for the info. This is the first time anyone's been able to come up with anything useful on this problem. I think I already owe you lunch!

Quick Reply: Mopar Performance Computer - Where to buy?