2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need cat advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 AM
sbrunn9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need cat advice

I just found this on ebay and was wondering if it looked like a good deal. I was hoping this would help improve my mpg a little bit seeing as i get around 10 in the city.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...spagenameZWDVW

Old 05-15-2007, 12:19 PM
dropride
Default RE: need cat advice

I'm running the same one on my truck.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:34 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I was also looking into a new cat, but it seems pretty hard figure out which one i need. I heard about the High Flow's but everytime I look up my truck, it wants to give me a universal regular cat. The only place I have seen that says High Flow is at Jegs. here But even there, it does not have dual in, one out. While the universal has two in, one out.

Does anyone know the number for the high flow cat for the 2001 dodge ram 1500 for stock exhaust size? I am looking into the cost of all the parts, headers may come later, but for now I want to do new cat, to flowmaster, and dual out the back.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:05 PM
sbrunn9
Veteran

dropride, are you running it with the stock exhaust? because i have a flowmaster catback but i would think i can still use this cat with my system

Old 05-15-2007, 05:47 PM
dropride

I am running a vortex muffler with dual tails. The outlet on the magnaflow cat is in the middle where the stock cat has the outlet towards the top, i had to use part of the original front pipe to make it work.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wont help anything, unless the stocker is bad...

I have that same cat on my truck, and there was a MPG and power increase after replaceing it forsure, but my origional cat was bad.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:06 PM
05SilverHemi
Veteran

I have that same cat on my truck. With the headers and flowmaster cat back it sounds pretty throaty. Depending on your resources and skill level you might want to consider their direct replacement which includes the y-pipe. I did my exhaust from the headers back all at once.

In your case you would need to cut the old cat out and then weld the new one in. Or you can spend $160 and get the direct replacement which is a real easy swap:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

At the end of the day you are probably going to spend about the same so its really up to you.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:35 PM
lancelanz
Veteran

im running a magnaflow high flow cat to a si/do flowmaster 40. i am pretty sure the shop i took it to used a universal fit cat cause it was only $250 installed.

Quick Reply: need cat advice