2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pan Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:34 PM
robformus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Question

I have a 1999 Ram QuadCab 1500 4X4 I want to drop the oil pan. I guess my question is can I do that without taking out the motor and leaving the front Axel in place. I was thinking I might have more room ifI place jack stands on the frame then removing the oil pan.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:45 PM
hkspwrsche
Rookie
Default RE: Oil Pan Question

some people have slightly diff clearance for some reason. I did a search on replacing an oil pump which should include instructions. some people have had to remove the starter. oil pump search:
https://dodgeforum.com/searchpro.asp...p;timefilter=0

Good luck

Old 05-16-2007, 01:47 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my 01/5.2 came out easy with no clearence problems on cross member, no engine jackup, etc. i did remove the starter and flex plate dust cover as described below. i wish i'd spent some time trying to get the oil pan off w/o removing all that stuff, because removing the starter is a pain.

getting oil pan off is a one man job. putting it back on and keeping gasket from slipping off took 4 hands. someone suggested tying the gasket in place w/some string through the bolt holes, then clipping it loose as you put the bolts in. that would probably work.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/rearmain.php

Old 05-16-2007, 10:11 AM
robformus

Thanks dhvaughan that was a very helpful link...

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Question