2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fan Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 01:49 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fan Removal

I'm trying to get my fan off so I can replace my plenum gasket and my water pump. I'm trying to follow the instructions in the DIY section but typical me, I'm still stuck around step one. How do you get the fan off of this thing? I see bolts holding the clutch to the fan. I see bolts holding the pully to the pump. There's a large nut between the fan and the pully but can't for the life of me budge it. It's a 95, 5.9. Does anyone know which way this thing should turn? How the heck do I get this thing off???? - thank you

Old 05-19-2007, 02:03 AM
BeachCrawler
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fan Removal

The cheap and dirty way is to use a strong square shaft screwdriver wedged between the bolt heads on the water pump. That will keep the pump from turning. And then turn the big nut counter clockwise with a cresant wrench as you stand in front of the engine. You only need to move it 1/16th of an inch to lossen it. Wear good gloves, hold the screwdriver tightly with your left hand, and pull the wrench up with your right hand.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:17 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

Do you mean the screwdriver wedges in from the left side and to the back of of the pulley? There's nothing on the front to stop it.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:22 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Aubrey

I'm trying to get my fan off so I can replace my plenum gasket and my water pump. I'm trying to follow the instructions in the DIY section but typical me, I'm still stuck around step one. How do you get the fan off of this thing? I see bolts holding the clutch to the fan. I see bolts holding the pully to the pump. There's a large nut between the fan and the pully but can't for the life of me budge it. It's a 95, 5.9. Does anyone know which way this thing should turn? How the heck do I get this thing off???? - thank you
Try a 32mm fan wrench (available at most auto parts stores) and a strap wrench. Before I had the electric fans and would do this, I first tried a generic run of the mill strap wrench that sucked. Then I got the Kobalt strap wrench from lowes and it worked alot better. After you feed the strap through the wrench, it kind of doubles down on itself, yeilding alot more grab than the old style.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:32 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

I was looking on the back of the new pump's pully and noticed that not only is there nothing to catch on the inside for the screwdriver but the holes in the front for the fan have no threads. Oh, and the there's nothing to thread the center piece into. It's solid there. A press on pully? Does my pully go over this pully and then my fan attach to this some how? Do I have the wrong pump?? GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Old 05-19-2007, 04:34 AM
Dodge ram it
Rookie

I have the same truck as you and I did this......

-Stand ontop of a step ladder or something.
-I used a large cresent wrench and a breaker bar, the bar was from my two ton floor jack I simply slid the round bar handle over the cresent wrench.
-Then I used a large pry bar and wedged it inbetween two of the four bolts on the water pump pully, and then slowy turned the breaker bar to the passenger side of the truck.
-After a litte of turning of the cresent wrench the prybar willcome into contact with the steering pump pully, get it snug and make sure its tight. This will eliminate you from having to hold the screwdriver, its nice because it will free up both of your hands to pull on the wrench.
-Now just turn the breaker bar which is over the cresent wrench to the passenger side and eventually the fan will come free, its hard if your using a small wrech, the more leverage the better.
Hope this helps.... Theres also some good pics on that dyi portion where a strap wrench is used thats another good way.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:58 AM
BeachCrawler
Rookie

If you have a bolton pulley on the water pump, the screwdriver or bar goes on the outside face of the water pump pulley between the heads of any two bolts. You can also use a scrap wrench if you have a heavy duty model. Just keep the water pump pulley from moving and you are home free. The big fan clutch nut is not on that tightly. It wasis torqued by the spinning of the fan.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

Ah, now I get understand. Also, do I have the wrong pump? I don't see how the fan bolts to this new pump.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:19 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my old water pump didn't have any bolts on the front of the pulley to grab onto. i unbolted the water pump from the engine and lifted out shroud, fan, and water pump all at once. then put the water pump pulley in the vise to hold onto it and removed the fan.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:11 AM
BeachCrawler
Rookie

If you don't have bolts use a spanner wrench. It is a free loaner at Autozone, etc. The new style does not have bolts; just 4 holes. You do not need to tighten it to re-install the fan clutch.The fan willselftorque when you start the engine.

Quick Reply: Fan Removal